As many as 1 trillion connected devices will exist by 2025. Everything is connected, from consumer electronics to home appliances to medical devices and industrial equipment. Deploying, securing and maintaining these connected devices is complex and requires many different capabilities and technologies throughout a single device lifecycle. Protiviti’s end-to-end IoT services address this complex, connected domain by empowering your organization to deploy, secure and maintain IoT devices throughout their lifecycle, ultimately reducing costs, increasing revenue, improving your customer experience and unlocking valuable insights.
The Internet of Things refers to connected devices that can “talk” to other devices without human interaction. Using a combination of sensors and connectivity technology such as Bluetooth, WiFi, cellular networks and others, information regarding people and processes is shared and updated.
Combined with other capabilities such as data storage, analytics, visualization tools and security, connected devices impact how all industries, governments and consumers interact with the physical world.
Chances are you use connected devices every day and may not even be conscious that these are IoT devices. Those who have grown up in the digital world often expect connectivity and the benefits it provides in our day-to-day activities. But as business usage of IoT expands, organizations are seeing increased benefits, including:
Chances are you use IoT devices every day and may not even be conscious that it is an IoT device. For those that have grown up in the digital world, connectivity and the benefits it provides are often expected in our day-to-day activities. But as business usage of connected devices expands, organizations are seeing increased benefits including:
- Identify use cases and processes right for IoT capabilities
- Develop proof of concept to illustrate value of new use cases
- Implement IoT and develop custom cloud based solutions that integrate with IoT devices
- Assess and ensure the security of your existing IoT devices, applications and architecture
- Develop an IoT asset lifecycle management program including standard development, device testing, asset management, monitoring, device management and resiliency planning
- Develop an IoT device risk and control management program
- Leverage IoT data through data analytics to improve efficiency, create additional revenue opportunities and generate savings
Devices such as smartphones, tablets and computers are obvious examples of IoT devices. And there are many more examples in the consumer world such as wearable fitness tracking devices, autonomous vehicles and smart cars that provide smart breaking.
But IoT is prevalent in business and in every industry. Here are a few examples:
The IoT provides organizations exciting opportunities to innovate and gain competitive advantage and efficiencies. As organizations pursue digital transformation and implement IoT devices, risk management should be top of mind – but is often overlooked or not considered. We are seeing a significant increase in organizations, who: