Matt is a managing director and global leader of Protiviti’s Risk & Compliance practice. He has extensive experience advising clients in matters related to risk management, regulatory compliance, corporate governance and internal controls. Matt helps his clients enhance risk management practices by developing risk appetite frameworks, improving risk governance practices, building executive risk reporting, and redesigning risk management processes.
- Conducted a strategic review of a G-SIB’s conduct risk management practices across its global footprint, with particular emphasis on first line of defense capabilities to identify, assess, manage and mitigate conduct risk associated with engaging with clients and customers.
- Led a review and evaluation of a top 10 North American bank’s risk, governance and control functions in comparison to regulatory standards and industry practices for large, complex banking organizations, with particular emphasis on the bank’s goal of achieving strong ratings from primary regulators. The review resulted in recommendations and a roadmap to strengthen risk, compliance and control practices in alignment with the company’s strategy and performance objectives.
- Advised a leading technology company in the development of a compliance risk management program in the face of increasing regulatory scrutiny across its global footprint.
- Performed an assessment of a G-SIB’s operational risk program and against the BCBS Principles for the Sound Management of Operational Risk. Areas of coverage included risk culture, governance, reporting, risk appetite, operational risk framework, risk identification, measurement and issue management.
- Led the development and implementation of risk measurement and reporting infrastructure for a multi-billion dollar international insurance company’s highest priority risks. The solution provided the client with group- and entity-level dashboard reporting that is used in critical risk evaluation and decision-making activities.
- Led an assessment of the credit risk management and oversight functions of a North American financial institution with insurance and banking businesses. The project included an evaluation of policies, organizational structure, roles and responsibilities, information technology systems, reporting and methodologies supporting the organization’s credit functions. Protiviti identified deficiencies in the client’s risk management practices and provided recommendations to improve transparency and risk oversight.
Areas of Expertise
- Enterprise Risk Management
- Regulatory Compliance
- Credit & Lending
- Operational Risk
- Model Risk
- Conduct Risk Management
- Financial Services
- MBA in Finance and Strategy and Management, Kellogg School of Business, Northwestern University
- BS in Accounting and Finance, University of Dayton
Professional Memberships & Certifications
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) – Inactive