Ariste is a Managing Director with Protiviti in the Risk and Compliance Practice. She has over 25 years of credit risk management, financial advisory and banking experience. She specializes in providing advisory services to clients including loss estimation for reserving and the allowance for loan and lease losses (ALLL) under ASC 450-20 and 310-10, Qualitative Adjustment Frameworks and implementation of the Current Expected Credit Losses (CECL) ASU 2016-13 / ASC Topic 326, risk modeling and analytics for credit risk, capital planning and stress testing, model validation, credit review outsourcing and co-sourcing, internal controls effectiveness assessment / program development, counterparty credit risk management infrastructure for financial counterparties and vendors, M&A due diligence and credit risk governance.
Prior to joining Protiviti, Ariste was a partner and National Credit Analytics Practice Leader at a Big Four firm, providing credit risk analytics, model validation, loss reserving, counterparty credit risk, loan review and other credit risk management services to financial services clients. Earlier in her career, she served as a director at a second Big Four firm where she led its commercial credit risk management consulting practice. She has also held leadership roles at several banks including Bank of America, Rabobank International, Harris Bank/Bank of Montreal and Citibank.
- For numerous mid and large sized banks, evaluated the ALLL methodology, policy, process and models for alignment with accounting and regulatory guidance including ASC 450 (FAS 5) and ASC 310 (FAS 114). Scope included building a structured and repeatable process for evaluating the 9 qualitative factors. Recommended improvements in design, process and controls, implementation, reporting and documentation.
- For a large commercial and consumer bank, validated 20 loss forecasting models covering commercial business, consumer mortgage and private client lending portfolios. Evaluated model design, theory, and documentation and governance for alignment with regulatory guidance on model risk management.
- For a top 20 bank, led the redesign of the bank’s counterparty credit risk assessment to ensure comprehensive systematic risk assessment, monitoring, exposure aggregation, reporting and governance as well as for compliance with regulatory guidance. The project included an implementation road map, updated policies, processes and controls, reporting packages and business requirements for data capture to ensure exposure aggregation across trading and lending platforms.
Areas of Expertise
- Allowance and CECL
- Model Validation
- Credit Review
- Commercial & Consumer Lending
- Lender and Portfolio Due Diligence
- Financial Services
- Commercial Real Estate
- Technology Sector Lending
- Equity and VC Fund Lending
- B.A. – Economics, DePaul University
- MBA – University of Chicago
Professional Memberships and Certifications
- Certified Public Accountant