Todd is a Managing Director in the Model Risk practice of Protiviti’s Data Management and Advanced Analytics Solution. He focuses on risk modeling and model validation for Market, Operational, Credit, and Conduct Risk. Recently, Todd has supported stress testing model development, validation and internal audit at more than 20 banks. He has developed model governance processes and risk quantification processes for the world’s largest financial institutions and is an SME for internal audit of the model risk management function.
Todd’s 2008 RMA Journal article, "Identifying, Measuring, and Managing Model Risk" won second place in the Journalistic Excellence Awards competition in the category of consultant-written articles. Todd has a Ph.D. in corrosion modeling from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, where he minored in Finance at the Sloan School of Management and in Nuclear Physics including stochastic modeling.
- Conducted model validation work for CCAR models for Operational Risk, PreProvision Net Revenue, Credit Risk and other models at several banks. Evaluated regression modeling and provided suggestions for model enhancements. Issues were noted with certain models requiring model updates prior to submission to the Federal Reserve Board for the CCAR exercise.
- Internal audit SME for several CCAR stress testing model review spanning all years of CCAR. Evaluated stress testing model risk management for five large bank’s CCAR capital management process. Documented issues with model risk management, credit risk modeling and operational risk modeling as well as recommendations to better address correlation between risk types.
- Led Anti-Money Laundering validation work testing transaction monitoring, customer risk rating, and sanctions monitoring for several mid-size banks. Evaluated data quality, assumptions and technical implementation to determine model effectiveness. Validated Fiserve FCRM, Actimize, D&H PAYPlus, LexisNexis Bridger Insight XG System, Fircosoft’s FircoContinuity System, and others.
- CCAR model development projects for three large regional U.S. Bank’s (2 CCAR and 1 DFAST). Evaluated correlation between economic and bank specific input variables and risk metrics to develop models for stress testing projections.
- Led several Interest Rate Risk and Asset Liability Management model validation reviews for several wholesale and retail banks. Engagements included review of model governance, inputs, analytics/model theory, assumptions, outputs and reporting. Reviews assess how the IRR model predicted actual bank data and estimated the sensitivity of the model to changes in assumptions.
- Credit risk model validation experience includes Allowance for Loan and Lease Losses (ALLL), Other than Temporary Impairment (OTTI), PD LGD models, economic capital, and others.
- Leader for operational risk model construction engagement for Basel II mandatory U.S. banks. Influenced all key developmental decisions and personally drafted a majority of the methodology documentation. Led all aspects of project leading toward OCC approval of the framework and model.
- Ph.D. Corrosion Modeling, MIT
- Minor in Finance, MIT Sloan
- B.S. Nuclear Engineering, University of Illinois, U-C
Professional Memberships and Certifications
- Financial Risk Manager – Certified by the Global Association of Risk Professionals
- Risk Management Association