Matthew is a Managing Director and founding member of Protiviti, leads the firm’s Risk and Compliance practice globally and serves on the Financial Services leadership team. He has extensive experience advising financial institutions in matters related to risk management, corporate governance and internal controls. He has led several independent reviews and look-backs at financial institutions of varying size, including reviews required by regulators. Matthew has assisted his clients enhance risk management practices by developing risk appetite frameworks, improving risk governance practices, building executive risk reporting, and redesigning risk management processes. He is a contributor to leading risk industry publications on key industry topics such as risk culture, risk appetite, heightened regulatory standards and risk governance.
- Led a strategic review and evaluation of a top 10 US bank’s risk, governance and control functions in comparison to regulatory standards and industry practices for large, complex banking organizations, with particular emphasis on the bank’s goal of achieving “Strong” ratings from primary regulators. The engagement covered the infrastructure supporting the identification, measurement, monitoring and management of material risk areas including enterprise, credit, market, operational risks, as well as senior management and board oversight. Reviewed and provided recommendations on a comprehensive basis including risk frameworks, charters, policies, organizational structure, risk appetite, reporting, processes and other components.
- Led the implementation of operational risk management programs for multiple financial institutions. Primary value delivered included comprehensive risk assessments, prioritization of key risks, gap assessments of current risk management practices and recommendations for enhancing capabilities to manage risks.
- Led the development and implementation of risk measurement and reporting infrastructure for a multi-billion dollar international insurance company’s highest priority risks. The solution provided the client with group- and entity-level dashboard reporting that is used in critical risk evaluation and decision-making activities.
- Designed and implemented an internal audit strategy for evaluating multiple top 10 US banks’ adherence to Basel Advanced Approaches requirements as defined in the Final Rules issued by US Federal Banking Regulators. The program included specification of minimum requirements for AIRB systems for credit risk, AMA for operational risk, ICAAP, as well as Standards for critical control functions such as model validation, credit review and internal audit.
- Assessed the credit review function of several top 25 US banks. Areas of coverage included evaluating the unit’s position in the organizational reporting structure, credit review alignment and focus, appropriateness of resources, quality of department output, and effectiveness of credit oversight.
- Led an assessment of the operational risk management and oversight functions of a North American financial institution with insurance and banking businesses. The project included an evaluation of policies, organizational structure, roles and responsibilities, experience level, information technology systems, reporting and methodologies supporting the organization’s operational functions. Protiviti identified deficiencies in the client’s risk management practices and provided recommendations to improve transparency and risk oversight.
Areas of Expertise
- Credit Risk
- Operational Risk
- Model Risk
- Enterprise Risk Management
- Basel Advanced Approaches
MBA in Finance and Strategy and Management, Kellogg School of Business, Northwestern University
BS in Accounting and Finance, University of Dayton
Professional Memberships & Certifications
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA)