Juaquin is an Associate Director in Protiviti’s Risk & Compliance practice with extensive experience in operational and compliance risk management, financial services, regulatory compliance, and information technology (IT). While at Protiviti, Juaquin has led execution of Risk & Control Self Assessments, regulatory compliance reviews, and regulatory Consent Order remediation and provided SME support to clients preparing for regulatory examinations. Prior to joining Protiviti, Juaquin worked for the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) as a Commissioned Compliance and Information Technology Examiner-in-Charge. In this role, he led regulatory examinations of financial institutions that included compliance management systems, and compliance with various consumer protection laws including but not limited to TILA, RESPA, EFTA, ECOA, FCRA, FDCPA, SCRA and UDAAP.
- Led review of design and operating effectiveness of controls implemented to enhance governance, data quality, and accuracy of information provided to the Board of Directors for a large financial institution. This included the identification and communication of Enterprise Board Governance Program enhancement opportunities to senior executives in support of target state maturity.
- Assisted a large financial services organization remediate regulatory Consent Order requirements that included an overhaul of its compliance risk management program as it relates to the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act (SCRA) and the Military Lending Act (MLA). Required enhancements pertained to all components of its compliance risk management program including senior management oversight, training, third party oversight, complaints, change management, risk reporting and assessment, and policies and procedures.
- Assisted a large US-based diversified financial services organization with the implementation of its enterprise-wide RCSA program. Led a team in the execution of RCSA implementation across shared service functions and assisted with RCSA execution within the federal savings bank. Delivered RCSA training to various client stakeholders across the first and second lines of defense.
- Provided compliance subject matter expert assistance to a large financial institution client preparing for CFPB examinations. This included an assessment of mortgage servicing operations, compliance management system and compliance with applicable regulations including RESPA, FCRA, HPA and UDAAP.
- Served as examiner – in – charge of a regulatory compliance examination of one of the largest mortgage originators in the US. This included leading a team in the assessment of the institution’s compliance management system and compliance with provisions of the TILA, RESPA, ECOA, UDAAP.
- Supported the CFPB’s Office of Enforcement by providing regulatory compliance and IT related subject matter expertise while assisting in the development of civil investigative demands, consent orders, injunctive provisions, and term sheets to address regulatory compliance control deficiencies at large financial institutions.
Areas of Expertise
- Regulatory Compliance
- Regulatory Exam Readiness
- Information Technology
- Risk & Control Self-Assessment (RCSA)
- Operational Risk
- BBA Accounting
- MBA Financial Fraud Examination and Management
- Harvard University Cyber Risk Management Program
Professional Memberships and Certifications
- Commissioned Examiner, Consumer Financial Protection Bureau
- Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA)
- Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE)
- Scrum Product Owner Certified (SPOC)
- Member, ISACA