Jarod is an Associate Director and the Healthcare Internal Audit Solutions Leader at Protiviti. Jarod has more than 13 years of internal audit and consulting experience working across multiple countries while based out of the US and UK. Jarod has spent more than 10 years working in the provider and payer segments of the healthcare industry across acute, post-acute, and physician settings. In addition, Jarod has worked with numerous healthcare clients to assess and improve their compliance, revenue cycle, operational, and financial processes.
- Led an Internal Audit Program Assessment for a multi-state hospital system that evaluated the structure and effectiveness of the internal audit program, including internal audit’s purpose and role within the organization; collaboration efforts with other risk management functions / third parties; structure and reporting capabilities; current resource capabilities as compared to the needs of the organization; tools, analytics, and methodologies used; the audit universe considered, risk assessment process, and audit plan development / coverage; the audit approach (i.e., planning, fieldwork, reporting, and wrap-up); audit follow-up process; internal controls over financial reporting; enterprise risk management; etc.
- Transformed multiple internal audit programs into co-sourced, fully outsourced, in-house, or other alternative structure to coincide with the Board’s and management’s needs. Provided training and/or subject matter expertise to assist client’s existing internal audit staff, provided qualified interim internal audit leadership, and provided supplemental staffing of experienced professionals to assist with the day-to-day operations of a client’s internal audit program.
- Led a Strategic Execution Risk (SER) portion of an Enterprise Risk Management implementation project that provided transparency to executive management and the Board to enable their understanding of risks associated with and their progress towards achieving their strategic initiatives / goals. Identified key leading metrics for each of their strategic initiatives to diversify the healthcare services they provide and evaluated the metrics to determine if the client was at risk for not succeeding with their strategic initiatives.
- Led multiple physician credentialing, contracting, and compensation reviews that identified multiple operational, compliance, and technology areas for improvement and standardization; identified industry leading contract system vendors and facilitated multiple contract system demonstrations; assisted management with evaluating the vendors and selecting a contract lifecycle management (CLM) system; and assisted with designing and implementing a new CLM system and contracting process across multiple regions, hospitals, and physician groups.
- Led numerous healthcare internal audit and compliance risk assessments; compliance program effectiveness assessments; and compliance, revenue cycle, operational, and financial control reviews; including: drug diversion and pharmacy operations, charge capture, charge description master, medical management, patient access, RACs, credit balance and government overpayments, nursing licensure compliance, physician lease arrangements, two midnight rule, clinical co-management agreements, personnel pay practices, patient safety quality and management, joint ventures, cash application / posting, IBNR, root cause analysis, EMTALA, physician’s at teaching hospitals (PATH), physician / hospital integration, and EHR and Ancillary System pre and post implementations.
Areas of Expertise
- M.S. Finance – Texas A&M University
- B.B.A. Management Information Systems – Texas A&M University
- B.B.A. Marketing – Texas A&M University
Professional Memberships & Certifications
- Certified in Healthcare Compliance (CHC)
- Certified in Healthcare Privacy Compliance (CHPC)
- Member, Association of Healthcare Internal Auditors
- Member, Health Care Compliance Association
- Member, Healthcare Financial Management Association
- Member, Institute of Internal Auditors