Chris is a Managing Director in the Kansas City Office with over 15 years of experience serving clients at Protiviti. Chris is a member of the Internal Audit Advisory group at Protiviti as well as the SOX Champions Network, communicating and sharing knowledge and trends within the firm. Chris has served clients of varying sizes across many different industries.
- Internal Audit Outsourcing: Lead in-charge of fully-outsourced internal audit department for a global manufacturing company. Responsibilities include the management of client internal audit efforts, including both SOX and non-SOX efforts. SOX assistance includes preparation of process and control documentation, control testing and remediation management. Responsible for all phases of SOX compliance, including developing the top-down, risk-based scoping. Managed scheduling, execution, review, and wrap-up of domestic and international SOX compliance efforts. Optimized coordination with external auditors in planning and execution of effort. Non-SOX internal audits performed include a business continuity and disaster recovery review, as well as multiple comprehensive reviews of processes and controls within a key manufacturing facility in Mexico. Key accomplishments include enhanced partnering with executive management and external audit, resulting in reduction of external audit fees due to increased reliance on internal audit work, as well as shifting focus of internal audit to more traditional value-added efforts.
- Internal Audit Co-Sourcing: Assisted several large multi-national companies in their internal audit efforts, serving in co-sourcing and full outsourcing capacities. Experience includes assistance with design and execution of the internal audit risk assessment, resulting in the establishment of the multi-year internal audit program. Assisted with designing the scope of specific internal audits, executing work programs and reporting results to management and audit committees. Internal audit experience includes both traditional internal audit activities as well as deep experience assisting companies with their Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX) compliance efforts. Chris has significant experience delivering public company readiness guidance, assisting private companies with the transition to becoming a public, SEC reporting entity. This includes establishment of adequate controls and procedures related to financial reporting.
- Enterprise Risk Management: Assisted several large multi-national companies with successful creation of an effective Enterprise Risk Management (ERM) program. Experience includes assistance with conceptual design, establishing an appropriate governance structure, and development of the underlying ERM processes infrastructure. Assist with education of executive management and Board of Directors related to the objectives and importance of an effective ERM program. Experience also includes assisting companies in the execution of the annual Enterprise Risk Assessment (ERA).
- Organization/Process Optimization: Assisted companies with consultative review of the design of organizational structures and processes aimed at reducing costs and increasing efficiency/scalability of operations. Effort includes assessing current-state, providing benchmarking analysis against competitors and industry best-practice, developing roadmap for improvement and assisting with execution of remediation activities. Efforts enable lean client organizations able to support future growth.
Areas of Expertise
- Internal Audit & Financial Advisory
- Sarbanes-Oxley Compliance
- Public Company Readiness
- Enterprise Risk Management (ERM)
- Organization/Process Optimization
- Masters of Accountancy, University of Missouri-Columbia
Professional Memberships and Certifications
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
- Internal Audit QAR Certified
- Six Sigma Green Belt
- American Institute of CPAs