Steve is a Managing Director with over 2 decades of experience in internal audit and sustainability reporting across different industries. Prior to joining Protiviti, Steve has worked with two public accounting firms: Deloitte & Touche and Arthur Andersen. Prior to obtaining his Bachelor of Science in Finance from the University of Illinois, he had also worked three years in the retail industry.
Steve provides clients with the following range of risk consulting services:
- Internal Audit Services: In the past 19 years, Steve has provided a variety of services focused on internal audit processes, including risk assessment, audit plan strategic development, and audit plan execution.
- Sarbanes-Oxley Advisory Services: Over the past 12+ years, Steve has been assisting clients with the design and testing of operating effectiveness of internal controls over financial reporting (SOX 404 compliance) on both business cycle and IT general computer controls.
- IT Audit Services: In the past 15+ years, Steve has performed multiple application pre-implementation reviews, general computer control (GCC) reviews, application control testing, and assisted in Sarbanes-Oxley compliance efforts. He has worked with various ERPs including, but not limited to, Great Plains, Oracle, SAP, PeopleSoft, and Infinium.
- Served as interim CAE for a major energy company. Performed a risk assessment for the purpose of developing a three year audit plan and maturing an internal audit function. Attended audit committee meetings to report on significant issues.
- Led multiple project team in Sarbanes-Oxley 404 compliance for manufacturing and retail clients with revenues over $2.5 billion and $6 billion. Responsibilities included leading multiple teams in fieldwork, performing interviews with various business process and IT personnel, and meeting with external auditors and senior management to present audit results.
- Managed teams in IT audit, internal control and regulatory compliance audits of major gaming companies for over 18 years in various gaming jurisdictions. He is a subject matter expert (SME) for Protiviti in the hospitality and gaming industry.
- Assisted a multibillion dollar bankruptcy client in organizational restructuring and restatement of financial statements. Responsibilities included presenting classes for the use of various project tools and leading a project team in the restatement of SG&A accounts.
AREA OF EXPERTISE
- Internal Audit
- IT Audit
- Sarbanes-Oxley and Corporate Governance
- Sustainability Reporting
- Bachelor of Science in Finance University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS & CERTIFICATIONS
- Certified Internal Auditor
- Certified Information Systems Auditor
- Certified Risk and Information System Control
- Certified in Risk Management Assurance
- Certified in Internal Audit Quality Assessment
- Member, ISACA