Senior Director, Enterprise Data & Analytics
Dan Sutherland is a Senior Director in Protiviti’s Enterprise Data & Analytics practice specializing in Enterprise Data Technology Solutions, Architecture and Integration.
He is known for providing exceptional executive leadership as a CTO, Solutions Architect and Enterprise Data Architect. Dan is an expert at transforming a client's strategic business vision into innovative solutions while exploiting leading edge technologies. Dan has spent most of the last 20+ years working with some of the largest banks and financial services companies in the world solving complex data and application issues.
Prior to joining Protiviti, Dan worked at EY leading many data architecture projects and before that, at IBM, was an IBM Distinguished Engineer and an active member of IBM's Academy of Technology. Dan is a frequent speaker, author and blogger on architecture and data topics and holds several patents for architecture innovation and has earned multiple AWS and Azure certifications.
- Multiple Large US Banks – Interim CTO, CDO, Data Strategy and Architecture Consulting
- Led successful architectural efforts for some of the largest financial services clients, including Cloud Migration, Data Modernization, Big Data and EIM Strategy and Solution Architecture work, and MDM/ECM/Advanced Analytics integration work
- Led the implementation of cloud native, conformed, simplified and integrated architectural frameworks where the value of advanced analytics and access to enterprise integrated data is fully realized.
- Large US Bank – Large Enterprise Transformation
- Led the team that evaluated the current state architecture and worked closely with client to architect a target state based on a proven reference architecture and best practices, conducted a gap analysis and worked with the business to rationalize business requirements into target state. This led to the implementation of a successful multi-year integrated data warehouse solution resulting in cost savings, simplicity and realized advanced analytic capabilities.
- Large US Auto Insurer – Large Enterprise Transformation
- Dan was one of the lead data architects for the largest enterprise data warehouse design and implementation in the US at the time and later, also led the data architecture for the largest Property & Casualty claims modernization program.
- Top US Credit Card Processor – Enterprise Data Led Transformation Program
- Lead Data Architect for the design and implementation of a large, complex, automated, online dispute resolution system which saved a client $1 billion over 5 years. Project was written up by national media because of success.
Areas of Expertise
- Data Strategy
- Solution & Data Architecture
- Data Management
- Data Governance
- Data Streaming
- Data Engineering
- Data Mesh
- Cloud Data Warehousing
- Reporting & Analytics
- AI / ML
- Data Modeling
- AWS, Azure and GCP
- SQL / NoSQL
- Banking & Payments
- Digital Assets
- Capital Markets & Asset Management
- Telco, Retail, Healthcare
- B.S., Maryville University
Professional Memberships and Certifications
- AWS Certified Solutions Architect - Associate
- Certified Azure Fundamentals (AZ-900)
- Certified Azure Data Fundamentals (DP-900)
- Data Persistence Technology Configurator, US 13/955097
- Aggregating Business Analytics Architecture and Configurator, US 8,813,022 B2