Mike is a Managing Director with Protiviti and serves as the leader of the firm’s North American Financial Services industry practise as well as the global leader of its regulatory compliance practise. He has nearly 20 years of experience focused on regulatory risk and compliance matters.
Prior to joining Protiviti in January of 2004, Mike was a Regulatory Relationship Manger for a Top 10 U.S. bank holding company, where he was the primary point of contact with regulatory agencies in the states in which the company was registered, with direct responsibility for responding to and resolving all compliance issues raised in these states. Mike played a significant role in the successful implementation of one of the largest consumer protection settlements in U.S. history.
Mike is also regularly consulted as a regulatory compliance subject matter expert by leading media outlets, having been interviewed and quoted by organisations including The Wall Street Journal, Associated Press, Reuters, CNN, American Banker, and the Chicago Tribune, among many others.
Representative examples of Mike's engagements include:
- Advised multiple Top 10 mortgage servicers on regulatory and business process risks related to their servicing, workout/modification, foreclosure and loss sharing compliance audit programs.
- Served as the lead engagement Managing Director for a top three credit card issuer subject to a public CFPB enforcement action. In this context, Mike conducted a comprehensive assessment and redesign of the client’s compliance risk management program, and also developed and helped to implement a compliance staffing model and enhanced organisational/reporting structure.
- Led an engagement for a top five consumer financial service provider to conduct a comprehensive assessment and develop enhancements to their third party compliance risk management program following released of heightened CFPB guidelines in this area.
- Led a global assessment of the compliance risks associated with the prepaid card and money transmittal businesses of a $60B global financial services firm.
- Conducted pre-exam reviews for numerous CFPB-supervised consumer financial services providers, including banks as well as non-bank retail lenders, MSBs, collection firms, and consumer reporting agencies.
- Engaged by multiple Top 25 banks and consumer lenders to design, enhance, and/or conduct audits of their Fair Lending compliance programs.
- Assisted a number of Top 50 global financial institutions in the development and maintenance of compliance programs for their U.S. subsidiaries.
- Developed and executed global privacy and information security risk assessment methodologies, designed and implemented privacy governance programs, and conducted enterprise-wide privacy compliance audits for a number of leading banks, insurance companies, and broker/dealers.
Area of Expertise
- Governance, Risk, and Compliance
- Financial Services
- B.S. in Finance, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Professional Memberships & Certifications
- Certified Regulatory Compliance Manager (CRCM)
- Institute of Certified Bankers