James is a Director with a focus on Enterprise Cloud Transformation. James has extensive global experience working across Asia Pacific and Europe in IT Advisory Consulting. James has extensive global experience working across Asia Pacific and Europe in IT Advisory Consulting.
Prior to joining Protiviti, James was a Director at Deloitte Consulting supporting clients with strategic adoption of cloud services, Consultant at Amazon Web Services enabling enterprise customers to achieve their most challenging business and organisational goals through well-managed transformation and a Consultant at PwC providing Enterprise Cloud Transformation advice.
- NSW Government: Whole of Government Cloud Strategy – James led the team responsible for development of a Whole of Government Cloud Strategy for the NSW Government (on behalf of the newly formed Department of Customer Service). With a focus on engaging and consulting all Agency CIOs (circa 20) to understand current challenges and inform development of the future state Cloud Strategy. Focusing on strategic procurement approaches and with an outcome centre on delving a “Click to Buy/Provision” capability across the NSW Government.
- University of Newcastle: Acting Cloud program Director – Led the establishment and delivery of a multi-million $ program to migrate the University’s entire Data Centre into the Public Cloud via an agile delivery methodology across over 100 team members including DevOps, Network and Cloud Advisory team members. This role was transitioned to a UON staff member post the first 12 months to continue leading delivery, whilst the core team took on direct responsibility for successful delivery of an on-time cloud migration.
- Leading Australian Insurance Company: 3rd Party Cloud APRA Review – James led the team responsible for conducting a 3rd Party review of the cloud transformation program at this insurer, looking to migrate Australia's first system of record to the public cloud. Findings and recommendations were included in engagement with APRA to support a successful migration and go-live.
- University of Technology Sydney: IT Cloud and Infrastructure Strategy - Development of a contemporary IT Infrastructure Strategy for the University that addressed the need for establishment of Infrastructure Platforms to enable Staff, Students and Researchers. The strategy considered cloud services and included options, recommendations, cost estimates and operating model implications for the transition to the recommended target state.
- University of Newcastle: Cloud Strategy - Development of a Cloud Strategy to support the University modernise its IT infrastructure, addressing the need to relocate a data centre and the need for enhanced high performance compute and research capabilities.
- Westpac: APRA IT Risk Remediation program – James took on an acting program Director role reporting to the Bank’s C-Suite and managing over 20 senior leaders across the bank in support of the Westpac IT Risk Director. James led development of a strategy to address IT risks identified by APRA and the establishment of a program (across 5 streams) to implement remediation initiatives across Group Tech.
- NSW Department of Industry: Cloud Operating Model, Skills Assessment & Service Catalogue – James led the team to assist in development of a Cloud Operating Model to support integration of their new Cloud Platform into the broader Business and Technology Services team. As part of this operating model the team conducted a cloud skills assessment to identify areas requiring uplift and support development of a target state organisation structure. A Cloud Service Catalogue was also developed as the ‘front door’ into DoI’s cloud platform and to expose services across the Department and Agencies.
- National Broadband Network: Workload Assessment Framework & Cloud Business Case – James led development of a workload assessment framework to allow for rapid identification of workloads suitable for migration to cloud. These workloads were used to develop a multi-year business case to support plans to migrate on premise workloads onto the public cloud. The business case included a baseline assessment of workload total cost of ownership, built proposed options for future state migration (re-host, re-factor, re-architect), developed total cost of ownership and yearly operating expenditure models to support comparison, assessment and recommendations.
- Victorian University: Cloud Operating Model – James led development of a Cloud Operating Model to enable the University’s broader adoption of public and private cloud services. Working with the CIO this operating model addressed internal capabilities, focussed on establishment of cloud delivery and cloud operations teams, initiated an internal ‘Cloud Centre of Excellence’ team and provided foundational cloud training to over 30 of the University’s technology staff.
- Public Financial Corporation: Cloud Insurance Platform Implementation – James led a team providing assurance of a global system integrator’s cloud implementation program being deployed for the first time in the world onto a public cloud service. This project involved development of high level & detailed cloud design documentation, cloud architecture and day to day agile delivery support.
Areas of Specialisation
- Enterprise Cloud Strategy
- IT Operating Model
- Cloud Operating Model
- IT Transformation
- IT Business Cases & Cloud Migration
- IT Risk Management
- Financial Services
- Public Sector (Federal and State Government)
- Energy, Utilities and Mining
- Telecommunications and Media
- Higher Education
Professional Qualifications and Memberships
- 1st Class Honours BSc Information Systems
- TOGAF 9 Foundation (Enterprise Architecture)
- ITIL v3 Foundation (IT Service Management)
- Certified ScrumMaster
- Agile Project Management (AgilePM)
- AWS Certified Solutions Architect – Associate
- AWS TCO and Cloud Economics
- AWS Technical and Business Professional
- Director, Deloitte Consulting (2017 – 2019)
- Advisory, Amazon Web Services, (2016 - 2017)
- Cloud Advisory, PwC Consulting (2011 – 2016)
- IT Consultant, IBM GBS UK (2005 - 2010)