Mike is a managing director and Protiviti’s national financial services lead. He has over 24 years’ experience in governance, risk management and assurance, both in practice and industry. His extensive experience results in the delivery of high-quality outcomes for clients.
Mike’s experience has included the design of risk management approaches, the integration of risk into the day-to-day planning and decision making activities of the business and the transformation and operation of risk and internal audit functions to increase their impact and deliver to the demanding expectations of their stakeholders.
Mike’s extensive experience in practice and industry in both Australia and the UK brings unparalleled insights, resulting in the delivery of high quality outcomes for clients.
- Assisted in designing and implementing a framework to support the specific needs of a private equity business and the companies operating within their fund structure. The framework mirrored the business cycle (and the specific aspects of the private equity value chain) and ensured risks were managed at a portfolio and investment level and risk expectations were defined for the operating companies to support the achievement of the investment thesis.
- Advised a major insurance company regarding their approach to operational risk management and the introduction of a technology solution to facilitate and support the process globally. This included supporting development of their strategy for operational risk, the design of the supporting framework (including risk and control assessments, internal/ external losses, key risk indicators and scenarios), the specification and selection of the technology solution and the change management activities required to support its introduction.
- Evaluated risk and assurance frameworks, including assessment, benchmarking and gap analysis activities, for two major Australian banks, to determine their position relative to peers and identify opportunities to improve their maturity. The reviews considered operating structures, roles and responsibilities, frameworks, methods and tools and culture and identified positive opportunities for the risk and internal audit functions to add more value at a reduced cost.
- Led the team in supporting the design and implementation of the operational risk framework of a major Australian Bank to support compliance with the Basel II requirements, including policies and procedures supporting internal loss data, external loss data, risk and control assessments, key risk indicators, self-assessment questionnaires, scenario analysis and capital modelling.
- Led the outsourced internal audit function for a major power generator, establishing and delivering a progressive internal audit plan that focused on key risks.
- Lead relationship manager for the co-source arrangement with a major UK bank responsible for the development of their internal audit activities, including strategy and methodology; audit planning and delivery; negotiation of contractual arrangements; performance management and knowledge sharing/exchange.
- Led the identification and prioritisation of the high risk areas within the retail bank network of an Australian bank including identification of the key controls for the high risk processes and areas of pervasive risk resulting in the development of a web-based self-assessment system, supported by an Oracle database, to support data collection and reporting across the network.
- Assisted in the evaluation, design and implementation of a new operating model for a division of a major Australian Bank to support the growth strategy of the custody business which had $70bn of funds under administration and over 300 staff.
- Bachelor of Science (Physics and Electronics), Reading, UK
Professional Memberships & Certifications
- Chartered Accountant
- Member, Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales
- Member, Institute of Chartered Accountants in Australia