Jeffrey is a managing director at Protiviti Hong Kong with over 24 years of experience in regulatory compliance advisory and audit. He’s responsible for the risk and compliance practice, including compliance with regulations and risk management.
Before joining Protiviti, Jeffrey was a partner at KPMG. He was responsible for regulatory, compliance and risk management advisory, internal audit, operational enhancement, and performance improvement covering the financial services sectors in Hong Kong and China.
- Led a large team of staff to clear the KYC backlog of over 5,000 customers for a Swiss investment bank and a private bank’s Hong Kong office, and managed the project governance
- Conducted large-scale sample-based audits to identify inappropriate conduct and instances where clients were being unfairly treated
- Led large-scale regulatory review, advisory, and remediation projects covering credit, margin lending, treasury, remuneration, operational risk, cash management, fund manager code of conduct
- Developed and implemented over ten customer risk profiling, product risk rating mechanisms, suitability models (including portfolio-based suitability), and supervision models for several private and retail banks
- Led client service teams for various virtual banks
- Delivered advisory projects to 7 of the 8 virtual banks, building target operating models from the ground up, obtaining SFC and IA licenses and providing business strategy and advisory in the areas of banking, wealth management and insurance
- Acted as a principal consultant to two virtual banks on their robo-advisory investment platform roll-out
- Managed over 10 HKMA/SFC driven regulatory reviews (s59(2) Banking Ordinance, s201 SFO and other regulator initiated) over the sales/distribution of wealth management products and the provision of investment advice for a number of retail banks, private banks, and asset managers
- Worked on risk and control framework development for 1LOD and 1.5LOD for private banking clients, including monitoring framework, definition of roles and responsibilities, coordination with 2LOD, surveillance monitoring, KRI, quality assurance, and testing methodology
- Acted as the lead partner for a number of regulator-driven projects on senior management effectiveness and accountability, adequacy of 2LOD and 3LOD, corporate governance structure, effectiveness of monitoring mechanisms, adequacy of risk and compliance functions, including oversight and supervision
- Acted as the operational resilience lead, advising clients on the latest 2022 HKMA SPM OR-2, including framework buildout, interdependency mapping, testing and implementation.
- Bachelor of Commerce, Accounting, University of British Columbia
- Private banking
- Asset management
- Financial services
Areas of Expertise
- Wealth management
- Risk management
- Regulatory review
Professional Memberships and Certifications
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
- Chartered Accountant (CA)