Fred received his Master degree in Economics from Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam. Upon his graduation, Fred went to work in the external audit services of PricewaterhouseCoopers. After PricewaterhouseCoopers, Fred joined the Internal Audit Services of Intergraph Corporation, and was responsible for the internal audit of the European subsidiaries as well as special projects such as implementation of Sarbanes Oxley act 2002. Fred returned to professional services after Intergraph, in which he has accumulated a wealth of experience in serving mostly financial services clients in Internal Audit, Risk Management and Compliance assignments. Fred is a Chartered Accountant (The Netherlands); Certified Internal Auditor extended with financial services specialty within the Institute of Internal Auditors (IIA) and holds the accreditation by the IIA for conducting Internal/External Quality Assessment Reviews of an internal audit department. Fred represents Protiviti at the IIA’s council of Quality Assessors.
As from 2015 Fred has (helped) setting up an Internal Audit Function for Insurance Companies in compliance to System of Governance requirements of Solvency II (Directive 2009/138/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 25 November 2009 on the taking-up and pursuit of the business of Insurance and Reinsurance).
Fred helps Chief Audit Executive (clients) of Insurance and Investments companies in the definition of the audit strategy as well as co-sourcing the realisation of the audit plan following the said strategy. In these roles Fred (helped) implemented the Quality Assurance Improvement Program to the Audit teams in the preparation of the compliance to compulsory standard 1312 (External Assessments) of the IIA’s Professional Practice Framework.
As from 2018 Fred has (helped) setting up an Internal Audit Function for Pension Funds in compliance to Pension Laws in The Netherlands following IORP II (Directive 2016/2341 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 14 December 2016 on the activities and supervision of institutions for occupational retirement provision / IORP).
Currently Fred fulfills the task as head of Internal Audit Function for several Pension Funds and as head of Professional Practice Group for several Insurance Companies in The Netherlands, among others at the following clients:
- Corporate Pension Fund of a (Swiss) Global Company for the Dutch employees as head of the Internal Audit Function.
- General Pension Fund for Private & Corporate Employees as head of the Internal Audit Function.
- Corporate Pension Fund of a (US) Global Company in The Netherlands as acting head of the Internal Audit Function.
- Pension & Life Insurance company in the Co-Source and implementation of the Quality Assurance Improvement Program within the internal audit department.
- General (Non Life) Insurance & Investment Company in to-Source, Improvement and independent review of Internal Audit Function.
Areas of expertise
- IORP II System of Governance
- Solvency II System of Governance
- Financial, Operational , Internal Audit
- Risk Management and Internal Control
- Corporate Governance
- Financial Services
- IT & Software
- Telecom & High Tech
- Manufacturing , Retail
- Consumer & Industrial Products
- (Semi) Government and Non Profit
- Certification in Risk Management Assurance (2012)
- Certified Financial Services Auditor (2010)
- Certified Internal Auditor (2008)
- Chartered Public Accountant, The Netherlands (2005)
- Master degree in Economics (1995)
- Royal Dutch Institute of Chartered Public Accountants (since 2005)
- The Institute of Internal Auditors/IIA, International-United States and The Dutch Chamber (2007)