John McDermott is responsible for enhancing and expanding Protiviti’s global risk, compliance, governance, and audit practices within the financial services industry. He provides subject matter expertise from years of personal experience as a Chief Risk Officer, General Counsel, Chief Compliance Officer, and Chief Audit Executive, at 3 large global financial services firms. His experience includes international assignments in the UK [seven years] and Japan [five years], and he has served on several regulatory policy and industry task forces.
- Responsible for managing relationships with banking and securities regulators for the Compliance and Operational Risk Control functions globally for a large international bank, and reviewing regulatory interactions in the U.S., the U.K., Switzerland, Germany, Hong Kong and Singapore.
- Oversaw the compliance and operational risk control function for all activities in the Americas including 3 business divisions and the corporate center control functions.
- Directed a 400+ person enterprise risk and compliance group and managed the internal audit, anti-money laundering, surveillance, information security, disaster recovery, operational risk and regulatory compliance teams at a large independent broker dealer.
- Oversaw compliance for a global wealth management and capital markets firm across all broker-dealer and bank businesses, reporting to the parent company General Counsel.
- Held the dual role of Global Head of Compliance and Chief Audit Executive for a large public company reporting to both the General Counsel and the Chairman of the Audit Committee.
- Was General Counsel in Europe and General Counsel in Japan for a global financial services firm.
- Has served on several industry committees related to legal and compliance with SIFMA and FINRA.
- Managed FED and OCC exams and remediated a large portfolio of MRIAs and MRAs.
- Has extensive experience in recruiting, developing and managing large groups of control group professionals.
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
- Corporate Audit
- Regulatory Compliance
- Operational Risk
- Wealth Management
- Investment Banking
- Bachelor of Arts – Wesleyan University
- Juris Doctor – Rutgers University
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS & CERTIFICATIONS
- New York and New Jersey Bar Certified
- FINRA Series 7, 24 and 14 Certified