Jaap Gerkes is a managing director at Protiviti The Netherlands. He is leading the ESG initiative and is part of the global ESG team. He advises clients on large multinational internal control projects and internal audit assignments such as IA transformation, outsourcing, development of best practices and design and implementation of the internal audit function. Jaap’s experience includes the design and implementation of ‘business control frameworks’ for strengthening controls in large (listed) companies. Next to that he is an experienced project manager and trainer, specifically in the field of internal control, enterprise risk management and internal audit and facilitated many (international) workshops on risk and controls. He is an experienced auditor with experience in a wide variety of businesses.
- Implementation of Enterprise Risk Management in various industries, linking risk management, corporate governance with performance management and management reporting.
- Implementation of an Internal Audit and Risk Management function in a large international retail company.
- Internal Audit transformation towards risk based auditing for a large multinational company.
- Sarbanes Oxley Implementations at various large international companies.
- Quality Assurance and technical advice on various ERM, SOX and internal control related projects.
- Advisor on implementing business control frameworks in various companies.
- Before his career at Protiviti he was an external auditor with experience in a wide variety of industries. After that he was responsible for external financial reporting as well as management reporting in a listed company in the communications industry.
Areas of Expertise
- Risk Management and Internal Control
- Corporate Governance
- Internal Audit
- Financial management / controlling
- Manufacturing & distribution
- Technology, information communication
- Entertainment and Media
- Financial Services
- Vrije Universiteit, Amsterdam: professional education to Register Accountant (Dutch chartered accountant)
- Vrije Universiteit, Amsterdam: Master degree in business economics, additional courses on (business) law
- Nyenrode Business University, bachelor’s degree in business administration
Professional Memberships & Certifications
- Member of the Institute of Internal Auditors (IIA)