Enterprise Data Governance
Harmonise data across your organisation
Continued pressure from both stakeholders on delivering trusted data has increased the need for companies to establish, improve, and maintain their Enterprise Data Governance (DG) practises.
We help you create a customised approach to evaluate, record, and govern data across your organisation.
Our risk-based perspective enables you to manage the most important data assets to support internal operations and meet the growing demands of your customers, regulators, and other stakeholders.
Customised approach to evaluate and govern data across your organisation
Experience a modern data governance approach
Data Governance Assessment
Do you need know how your data governance programme compares against your peers? Start with a data governance assesSment where we measure the maturity level of your data governance processes helping you connect, manage and maintain data assets across your organisation.
Data Governance Roadmap
Results from our data governance assessment are used to develop a practical roadmap you can follow. By automating data intake and advancing data governance across your organisation and functional teams, we create an environment of optimisation and accountability for critical data assets.
Data Quality Assessment
Poor data quality can negatively impact business performance. Through our data quality assessment, our team of experts can profile data sets providing you visibility into data quality challenges and mechanisms to track, report and fix issues and enable transformation success.
Data Champion Network
Proper business involvement is essential to ensuring a successful data governance programme. We clarify roles, define expectations of the various individuals that may support governance activities, and provide communication strategies to ensure roles and tasks are performed.
Catalogue Data Elements
Many data governance programmes fail due to overpromising on scope . We work to carve out bite-sized segments of prioritised data that you can focus on in short, iterative cycles. This allows the most meaningful data sets to receive governance benefits quickly.
Data Governance Staffing
As enterprise data governance programmes mature, we work with you on staffing support for business as usual functions and accelerators to increase the scope of elements or expand the information recorded and associated with elements to best meet a firm’s ongoing needs.
Our client, a national student loans lender, had been tasked with establishing data governance practises to support consistency in term usage and meet regulatory demands.
Furthermore, our client asked for support in identifying critical reports and establishing ownership for terms used within key reporting to ensure that terms were properly vetted and would not vary based on an audience or organisation that creates/generates a specific report for management.
Throughout the project, we performed the following steps:
- Assessed current functions of governance against an industry DG model
- Created a customised roadmap and project plan to achieve goals
- Supported the creation of policies, procedures, and enterprise communication
- Supported the selection process for related data governance tools
- Initiated the collection and maintenance of metadata to be captured and utilised throughout the programme
Our client, a global data provider, was looking to accelerate revenue while managing the risks associated with providing data assets to their customers. This included understanding the contractual, compliance, and business concerns when providing data assets as a product. The end solution needed to be fast, pragmatic, and able to address the “can we,” “should we,” and “will we” aspects of these questions.
We supported our client on this engagement through the following activities:
- Identified existing flow of new deals and requests
- Profiled existing records to identify trends, cycle times, and variations that resulted in time delay
- Determined fast path for escalating reviews and approvals
- Outlined enabling technology to streamline work efforts
- Educated the business on updates required to support proper decision making on data use
- Supported the implementation and rollout of an updated data use process
Our client engaged with Protiviti to support the establishment of an enterprise data governance function, including the organisational structure, policies, and framework required for the successful adoption of this programme enterprise-wide. This same project also supported the rollout of Master Data Management across multiple domains, including Vendor, Material, and Customer.
Specific steps completed include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Facilitated discussions with individuals throughout the business to define organisational data governance needs and responsibilities
- Created an inventory of current state policies, procedures, and standards related to governance items
- Provided guidance regarding the correct roles, organisational placement, and individuals who may be candidates for ownership and other responsibilities for key data domains (Customer, Vendor, Material, Employee, etc.)
- Provided Target Operating Model to support draughted charter and roadmap tasks for the data governance organisation
- Deliver a high-level timeline summary of proposed projects, technologies/tools, communications, and other activities necessary to launch and maintain an enterprise programme