Matt is a Managing Director in Protiviti’s Risk and Compliance team in London. He joined Protiviti in 2005 prior to which he worked for Arthur Andersen and Deloitte. Matt specialises in helping organisations design and implement sustainable risk management arrangements.
- Quality Assurance Design – Matt lead an international Protiviti team tasked with designing and rolling out a Quality Assurance function for the central Client On Boarding (COB) function for a Global Investment Bank. The project has involved design a TOM for the function, end to end processes and integrating with the client’s wider KYC and change programmes.
- AML Programme: Matt has led a team of Protiviti consultants assisting with the AML transformation programme at the UK Branch of a Nordic Bank. The have be responsible for designing a CDD assurance programme, performing gap analyses against UK and European AML requirements and re-designing the Bank’s AML policies and procedures.
- Financial Crime – Matt led Protiviti’s support of a UK Bank’s AML Transformation programme. Matt has been responsible for the following services provided to the client:
Design, pilot and roll out of a full reverse screen of the Bank’s customer base for PEP, SIPS and RCAs;
The design and implementation of a quality management framework to cover all customer facing AML operation including on-boarding checks, due-diligence and suspicion activity reports;
Process design for a new “model office” alert management process; and
Provision of an Enhanced Due Diligence remediation team to address over 1,600 highest risk customers.
- Conduct Risk - Matt has worked as the interim Group Head of Conduct Risk for a UK insurance broker. In direct response to a supervisory requirement, he has helped establish a conduct risk framework that has been rolled out across the Group. This was supported by the development of a suite of conduct policies which Matt was responsible for integrating into the Group’s Risk and Compliance Monitoring activities and the development of an integrated assurance model.
- Enterprise Risk Management – Matt spent 3 years seconded as the Group Head of Risk at a global Health Insurance organisation. As part of this role Matt was responsible for designing, implementing and embedding a Global Risk Management framework across 13 countries and enhancing the organisation’s governance arrangements. He was responsible for managing the closure of a number of regulatory findings, preparing the Group for a number of supervisory visits, helping establish the firm’s college of supervisors and providing regular briefings to the Main Board on key risk matters.
- Risk and governance transformation - Matt has helped re-design the governance and operational risk management procedures for a global department of a major international retail and commercial bank. For 2 years Matt was responsible for managing a Protiviti team tasked with re-engineering the governance and operational risk management processes in line with the Group standards and ensuring their complete adaptation across 10 different countries via a standard Target Operating Model.
Areas of Expertise
- Enterprise Risk Management
- Anti-Money Laundering / Financial Crime
- Conduct Risk
- Operational Risk
- Project and Programme Management
- Financial Services – Retail Banking, Insurance, Insurance Broking
- BSc Geography – University of Durham
Professional Memberships and Certifications
- Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA)
- Certified in the Governance of Enterprise IT (CGEIT)
- Certified ITIL Practitioner
- Institute of Internal Auditors