Guy A. Davis is a Managing Director with Protiviti Inc. and manages the firm’s Richmond, Virginia office. He has nearly 28 years of accounting, finance and consulting experience in the areas of corporate restructuring, commercial litigation, financial investigations, and valuation.
Mr. Davis has performed a variety of financial advisory and fiduciary services to bankrupt or distressed entities, their lenders and unsecured creditors including: operations management, asset liquidation, debt restructuring, asset recovery, fraud investigation, solvency analyses, and business valuation. He has served as acting CFO of debtor organisations, Chief Liquidation Officer, court approved claims and disbursing agent, and accountant to chapter 7 trustees. He has also testified before eight U.S. Bankruptcy Courts and several circuit courts. These services have been provided to corporations and estates in the sub-prime mortgage, health care, retail, equipment manufacturing, furniture rental, equipment leasing, steel fabrication, ship repair, heavy highway construction, mining, and hospitality industries.
Litigation, Financial Damage Analysis
Mr. Davis has prepared research and analysis to determine compensatory and punitive damages related to several litigation matters involving patent infringement and reasonable royalty, breach of contract, employment disputes, negligence, franchise termination, fraudulent conveyance, and marital dissolution. He has qualified as financial expert and/or has provided testimony on behalf of corporations, individuals, class action plaintiffs and defendants, sureties and financial institutions.
Mr. Davis has performed numerous business valuations for use in bankruptcy, estate planning, purchase and sale of business, litigation matters and loan collateral analysis. These valuations were for hotels, restaurants, printing companies, medical practises, construction contractors, distributors, manufacturers, retailers and others. His significant valuation experience includes:
- Valuation of Payless Cashways, Inc., a 150 store retail chain of home improvement centers with total revenues in excess of $1.2 billion.
- Valuation of Nationwide Warehouse and Storage, Inc., a $135 million retailer of promotional grade furniture.
- Valuation of Erie Power Technologies, Inc., a specialty contractor for the construction of combined cycle gas fired electric power plants.
Merger, Acquisitions and Business Formation
Mr. Davis has assisted several clients in purchasing, selling or forming an equity interest in privately held businesses. These services included development of comprehensive business plans, evaluation and financial analysis of economic returns, assessment of management compatibility and operational synergies, evaluation of stock versus asset purchases and the tax ramifications of the transaction, and presentation to potential lenders and private placement investors.
Papers, Publications and Presentations
- “Structured Dismissals and Conversions” - co-author and panel member for the Association of Insolvency Restructuring Advisors at the National Conference of Bankruptcy Judges, October 10, 2017, Las Vegas
- “Everything’s Changed – What’s Next in Bankruptcy Reporting” - co-author and panel member for the Association of Insolvency Restructuring Advisors at the National Conference of Bankruptcy Judges, October 28, 2016, San Francisco.
- “Preference Defense from a Financial Advisor’s Perspective” - co-author and panel member for the Credit Research Foundation’s Credit and Accounts Receivable Forum and Expo, August 9, 2016 Chicago, IL.
- “Bankruptcy Tax and Accounting Issues – Supplement” (Copyright 2016) for Virginia CLE and the Virginia Law Foundation (co-author). Bankruptcy Practise in Virginia.
- “Proposed Fee Guidelines for Financial Advisors in Large Chapter 11 matters.” Co-author and panel member for the Association of Insolvency Restructuring Advisors at the National Conference of Bankruptcy Judges, October 10, 2014. Chicago, Il.
- “A Financial Advisor’s Role in Chapter 7 Bankruptcies” for the Journal of The National Association of Bankruptcy Trustees, NAB Talk Fall 2013 Volume 29 Issue 3.
- “A Comparative Analysis of Chapter 11, Receiverships and Assignments of the Benefit of Creditors” for the National Conference of Bankruptcy Judges Joint Programme of the Association of Insolvency & Restructuring Advisors and the American College of Bankruptcy. October 26, 2012. San Diego, CA.
- “The Daubert Challenge: Plan Confirmation and Solvency Valuation Experts” Mid-Atlantic Institute on Bankruptcy and Reorganisation, September 2012.
- “Control Premiums: Exploring the Complexities of a Seemingly Simple Concept” AIRA Journal Volume 24, Number 4 October/November 2010.
- “Bankruptcy Tax and Accounting Issues – Supplement” (Copyright 2010) for Virginia CLE and the Virginia Law Foundation (co-author). Bankruptcy Practise in Virginia.
- “Surf’s Up on Fresh Start Accounting” – co-author, AIRA Bankruptcy & Restructuring Conference, June 11, 2010.
- “Mark-to-Market Accounting and FASB 157 – The Impact on the Current Financial Crisis” for the American College of Bankruptcy Annual Meeting, March 28, 2009, Washington D.C.
- “Bankruptcy Tax and Accounting Issues – Supplement” (Copyright 2008) for Virginia CLE and the Virginia Law Foundation (co-author). Bankruptcy Practise in Virginia.
- “Bankruptcy Tax and Accounting Issues” (Copyright 2004) for Virginia CLE and the Virginia Law Foundation (co-author). Bankruptcy Practise in Virginia.
- “Selection of the Restructuring Platform” (Copyright 2003) for Bankruptcy Law News, and Corporate Corridors.
- “Regional Trends in Bankruptcy Filings” (Copyright 1997) for Bankruptcy Law News, Vol. XII, No. 3.
- “Bankruptcy Survey - C. W. Amos & Company's financial database on area bankruptcies provides valuable information for both lenders and creditors. Here are some highlights...” (1995) co-authored with Debora A. Pavlik for the Richmond Ventures Magazine.
- “Inventory Management and the Economic Order Quantity (EOQ)” (1991) prepared for the Notes and Footnotes Publication distributed to over 3,500 Maryland corporations by C. W. Amos & Company.
- “Choosing from a Vast Selection of Legal Time and Billing Software” (1990) prepared for The Daily Record, a Maryland daily business and legal news publication.
Areas of Expertise
- Corporate Restructuring & Recovery
- Litigation & Financial Investigation
- Best Products Co., Inc.
- Alpha Natural Resources
- Fas Mart Convenience Stores
- Heilig Meyers Inc.
- MF Global
- Circuit City
- GE Commercial Credit
- Dominion Resources
- Gen Re
- B.S., University of Richmond
- MBA, Loyola College
- American College of Bankruptcy Fellow
- Certified Public Accountant
- Certified Insolvency & Restructuring Advisor
- Certified Distressed Business Appraiser (CDBV)
- Certified Fraud Examiner
- American College of Bankruptcy Fellows
- American Institute of Certified Public Accounts
- Association of Certified Fraud Examiners
- Association of Insolvency & Restructuring Advisors
- Virginia Society of Certified Public Accountants