Tom is a Director in the Risk and Compliance practice. He has deep knowledge of financial services regulation with hands on experience in bank supervision and policy related matters. He retired from the OCC after a 35 year career in which he served most recently as the Examiner-in-Charge (EIC) of Morgan Stanley. In this role he led a team of examiners with individualized expertise covering all risk categories. AS EIC, Tom was responsible for the OCC’s supervisory activities and the content of all supervisory communications with MS. Previously, Tom served as EIC of the OCC’s London Office and of National City Bank.Tom excelled at providing banks with value add supervision.
- Direct responsibility for drafting Enforcement Actions (EAs) and Matters Requiring Attention (MRAs).
- Direct responsibility for engaging executive bank management and the Board of Directors in addressing EA and MRAs.
- Guided banks’ effort towards achieving the OCC’s Heightened Standards.
- Evaluated banks’ account opening procedures and sales practices activities.
- Direct supervisory responsibility for evaluating banks’ interest rate risk, liquidity, and market risk management practices.
- Provided SME guidance to OCC Legal in drafting of the Interagency Liquidity Coverage Ratio Rule.
- Direct supervisory responsibility for evaluating banks’ mortgage banking activities.
- Direct supervisory responsibility for evaluating banks’ wealth management banking products.
- Direct supervisory responsibility for evaluating banks’ underwriting of commercial real estate and leveraged loans.
- Direct supervisory responsibilty for evaluating banks’ model development and implementation practices.
- Guided banks’ Internal Audit departments in the development of sound practices for validating MRAs.
- Direct supervisory responsibiltity for evaluating banks’ controls to prevent employee misconduct related to proprietary trading.
Areas of Expertise
- Regulatory Expecations
- Corporate Governance
- Interest Rate Risk
- Mortgage Banking
- Wealth Management Banking Products
- Heightened Standards
- Internal Audit
- BA, Finance, Bowling Green State Universtity
Memberships and Certifications
- Commissioned National Bank Examiner