Shaheen is the managing director and global solution leader for Data Management and Advanced Analytics for Protiviti. She has almost 30 years of experience in all aspects of risk management--domestic and international. This includes enterprise-wide risk governance and reporting, risk modeling and model validation, including validation of AML/BSA models, credit approvals and credit portfolio management, as well as Basel qualification and compliance. Prior to joining Protiviti, she was an Executive Vice President at PNC Financial Services Group, where she held various leadership positions, including Head of Risk Analytics, Leader of the Basel Implementation Program, Head of Model Validation, Chief Performance Officer, and Head of Credit Portfolio Management. Before that, Shaheen worked at Mellon Bank, initially as an Economist and then as a Senior Credit Approval Officer. Selected one of 2011’s “Top Women in Retail and Finance” by Women of Color Magazine. Shaheen was also listed by Consulting Magazine as one of 2014 Women Leaders in Consulting. Shaheen has published widely on Risk topics, and is a frequent speaker at National Conferences and Industry Associations.
- Led multiple complex engagements validating CCAR stress testing models and frameworks for top 20 U.S. banks. Provided critical assessment for the design of loss forecasting, cash flow simulation, vendor data and solutions. Evaluated multiple modeling methodologies, key risk parameters and their linkages to macro-economic factors. Provided important recommendations to the client for performance enhancing and model risk monitoring.
- Led multiple engagements validating Bank AML/BSA monitoring systems, including reviews of red flags, data processes focusing on integrity of data inputs, scenario logic and threshold setting methodology and limits.
- Provided advice on a framework for Basel compliance for a US mandatory bank, covering all aspects of Basel Qualification. Reviewed documentation for Basel Qualification.
- Designed and oversaw the building of a new allowance model for a top 20 financial institution and managed their overall ALLL process.
- Led the team that designed, developed and implemented a comprehensive commercial risk rating system for a top 20 financial institution, including 12 PD and 1 LGD model.
- Created a model validation framework, set up a model validation group, and chaired the Model Validation Committee for a top 20 financial institution. Oversaw the model validation process.
- Provided independent strategic focus, competitive intelligence, and performance measurement reporting, integrating financial and non-financial drivers, to improve business performance for a top 20 bank.
- Developed a Basel Implementation Plan, and led the Basel Project office for a top 10 Bank.
- Led the development of an economic capital modeling system for a top 10 Bank, including models for credit, market, and operational risk.
Areas of Expertise
- Advanced Analytics
- Data Management
- Model Risk Management
- CCAR and Stress Testing
- Credit Risk
- Operational Risk
- Economic Capital
- Basel & Capital Management
- Enterprise Risk Management
- AML/BSA Model Validation
- Ph.D., International Relations, Princeton University
- M.A., Politics, Princeton University
- M.A., International Relations, S.A.I.S., John Hopkins
- B.A., Comparative Literature, Vassar College
Professional Memberships & Certifications
- Risk Management Association
- Board of Directors – Risk Management Association (RMA) – (2000 to 2004)
- Chaired Portfolio Management Roundtable, Risk Management Association (RMA) – (2001)
- Vice Chairman, International Business Forum, World Affairs Council of Pittsburgh – (1990 to 1994)