Rene is a Managing Director of Protiviti and leads our Financial Services practice in Dallas, TX. He joined Protiviti in 2003, and he has over 19 years of professional consulting and audit experience, including four years with KPMG in Austin and one year with Alliance Capital Management in New York City. Rene focuses on Internal Audit & Financial Advisory services for his clients, which include several mid-size banks ($10B-$50B in assets), non-bank mortgage companies, real estate companies, and other financial service companies in Texas and neighboring states. He also partners with hospitality and retail clients. Over the years, Rene has had diverse experience working on operational, financial, and IT focused projects for his clients.
- Led Internal Audits (operational, regulatory, IT), Business Process SOX, IT SOX, IT Risk Assessment, COBIT/FFIEC Process Effectiveness, SSAE 16 readiness projects, and Enterprise Risk Assessments at several large non-bank mortgage companies with servicing portfolios ranging from $10 billion UPB up to over $500 billion UPB and annual origination production ranging from $2 billion up to over $25 billion.
- Led Internal Audit Risk Assessment, Internal Audits, IT Audits, and SOX projects for various mid-size bank holding companies with assets between $10 billion - $50 billion and operations within commercial/retail banking, mortgage, insurance, and asset management.
- Led Internal Audits and SOX consulting projects for large public Auto Finance lender and servicer.
- Led SOX projects and Internal Audits (operational, regulatory, and IT), based on FFIEC guidance at a federal financial institution with over $80B in assets.
- Led external quality assessments for internal audit departments for various size companies.
- Led Internal Audits and SOX projects at multiple real estate and REIT company with assets from $1 billion to over $5 billion. In this role reported directly to three separate Audit Committees.
- Led numerous SOX Year 1 and beyond Compliance Engagements for several multi-billion companies from 2003-present and helped over 20 companies comply with AS2 and then later on AS5 and other PCAOB standards. Reported directly to Audit Committees.
- Led numerous control and security projects to help automate internal control design to streamline SOX compliance efforts and to strengthen the overall effectiveness of key business processes.
Area of Expertise
- Internal Audit
- IT Consulting
- MPA in Accounting (Information Management), University of Texas at Austin
- BBA in Accounting (Audit), University of Texas at Austin
Professional Memberships and Certifications
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
- Certified Financial Services Auditor (CFSA)
- Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA)
- Certified IT Professional (CITP)
- Certified in Risk & Information Systems Control (CRISC)
- Member, University of Texas Accounting Advisory Council
- Member, AICPA
- Member, IIA
- Member, ISACA