Michael is a Director in our Internal Audit and Financial Advisory Practice based in the Metro DC area. He has extensive financial services experience focusing on private equity and asset management firms. Michael is a trusted advisor to many clients and individuals within the Internal Audit industry. Michael works extensively with his clients and contacts to provide candid, practical advice on Internal Audit, internal controls and process design. He has significant expertise in developing, implementing, and refining cost-effective, best in class, SOX Compliance Programs and Internal Audit functions to meet evolving industry and regulatory demands.
- Responsible for managing the co-sourced internal audit relationship and activities at a large Private Equity Client. This includes managing approximately 10,000 hours of Internal Audit and SOX testing across various process areas including, valuations, carried interest, close the books, management fees, and other corporate processes. Assisted in performing audits of investment due diligence processes and providing advice on legal entity management processes.
- Assisted a large Private Equity Client in establishing a SOX compliance program, which including performing a financial statement risk assessment to identify in-scope areas and then managing the development of processes, documentation, and implementation of the necessary controls.
- Assisted a large hospitality company with refining and enhancing their hotel audit work program and audit process. This involved deploying a risk-based approach to focus audit activities on higher risk hotel operations.
- Managed the internal audit relationship for a many clients, including a non-profit payment assistance foundation. This included presenting to the audit committee and executive management, coordinating global resources, managing project quality, and performing internal audit projects
- Developed and deployed a SOX 404 “like” program for a financial services industry self-regulatory organization. This included determining company materiality, identifying in scope processes, training process owners, and managing internal audit staff in documenting processes and internal controls.
- Developed and implemented formal policies and procedures governing an out-sourced internal audit function at large financial services industry company. This included developing detailed procedures for performing internal audit projects and testing, as well as procedures around the management of the IA function. It also entailed ensuring policies and procedures complied with the IIA Standards.
- Conducted risk assessments and developed an annual audit plan for multiple clients. Activities involved surveying and interviewing client management, analyzing risk assessment results, and identifying internal audits for inclusion in an annual audit plan.
- Bucknell University - BSBA in Accounting
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND CERTIFICATIONS
- Certified Public Accountant
- IIA Member
Read Protiviti Blog Posts from Michael Seek