Melissa has managed and executed a wide variety of consulting engagements, internal audits, SOX programs, and investigations to increase effectiveness of operations and the control environment. For her clients, Melissa has evaluated Enterprise Risk Management (ERM) programs, been an ERM Committee participant, and executed risk assessments for company executives as well as managed internal audit departments. She is a member of the Institute of Internal Auditors Washington D.C. Chapter and just completed her term as Co-Chairman of the Board.
- Internal Audit Departments / Reviews – Managed internal audit departments and executed audits & SOX Programs with a focus of control validation, operating effectiveness, and comparison to best practice / industry standards. Example project areas include:
- Risk Assessments and Audit Plans: Executed comprehensive risk assessments, ERM reviews, and the development of Audit Committee / Board reporting packages and internal audit programs for clients in various industries.
- Industry-Specific: Recoverable Costing, Development, Grants & Contracts, Curriculum Management, Program Management, Tuition, Commercial Leasing, Financial Aid, Life Insurance.
- Central Departments: Travel & Entertainment Expenses, Revenue, Accounting, Human Resources, Payroll, Expenditures, Inventory, Financial Reporting, Entity-Level, Procurement, and Treasury.
- Special Projects: Revenue Recognition, Journal Entries and Close the Books, and Regulatory Compliance e.g. Export Control, Anti-Corruption Compliance.
- Consulting – Worked alongside organizations to execute and oversee consulting initiatives for various needs. Example project areas include:
- Third Party Vendor Management: Performed Third Party Risk Assessments and audited Vendor Management Programs.
- Fraud: Managed a year-one Fraud Risk Assessment for a private organization, as well as executing Travel and Entertainment Expense Fraud Investigations for two multi-billion dollar clients.
- Data Analytics: Led programs that utilize red flag analytics to identify control failures, fraud, manual errors etc.. Validated findings and provided recommendations.
- Transaction Monitor Review: Performed operational tasks to ensure the monitoring of investments was adequate and efficient for a major asset management company. Developed and assisted in applying recommendations for improvement
- Quality Assurance Review (QAR): Executed QARs for a global hospitality corporation and national utility organization.
- Project Management Oversight (PMO): Managed the administration and oversight of over 50 vendor security assessments.
Areas of Expertise
- Internal Audit
- Risk Assessment
- Enterprise Risk Management
- Vendor Management
- Quality Assessment Review
- Project Management Oversight
- Data Analytics
- Higher Education
- Financial Services
- Professional Services
- B.S. in Economics and Marketing, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
Professional Memberships and Certifications
- Certified Internal Auditor
- Former Co-Chair of the Board and current member, IIA Washington D.C. Chapter