Karen has more than 25 years of business experience working in the financial services industry with a focus on enhancing business performance through risk management, operational effectiveness and enhanced governance. Karen has held various leadership positions in operational risk management, quality control, and program/project management at several Top 5 banks with US and global presence. Karen has successfully led multiple process improvement and business transformation projects driving operational excellence, building compliant processes and controls, and improving the customer experience.
- Developed and implemented an enterprise-wide consumer remediation validation program for a Top 5 US Bank. Delivered evaluations of how consumer remediation efforts were performed relative to existing policies and procedures, leading industry practices and regulatory guidance. Provided recommendations for improvement opportunities to strengthen the execution.
- Managed risk and control self-assessment for Top 25 US Bank providing a full control plan for all mortgage processes including recommendations on where to strengthen the control environment for both effectiveness and adequacy.
- Developed enhancements to the Information Security compliance framework at a Top Global Bank to comply with local and international regulations. Created and performed monitoring and testing activities to support compliance of regulations. Performed audit and regulatory issues tracking, reporting, and resolution.
- Led enterprise risk and control self-assessment of Regional Banks’ lending practices within their mortgage, consumer, and commercial businesses. Developed process maps of end-to-end lending lifecycle with the identification of key risks, control points and operational improvements. Developed design recommendations for identified process, regulatory and IT risks, including building a governance program to strengthen controls, data quality and reporting.
- Managed an initiative for a Top 25 US Bank by identifying, assessing, and prioritizing process enhancements within the mortgage lending life cycle to improve their customers’ experience resulting in a 17% increase in the Bank’s customer satisfaction scores and significantly improved cycle times for both purchase and refinance loans.
- Led initiative to resolve open customer experience and regulatory issues in Retail Lending Operations at a Top North American Bank. Performed root cause analysis and calculated the level of customer impact for each of the identified issues. Provided recommendations for process and control enhancements and detailed customer remediation plans.
Areas of Expertise
Operational Risk Management
Risk and Control Self Assessments (RCSAs)
Control Development and Testing
Enterprise Risk Management
Operational Efficiency Improvement
Program and Project Management
- MBA - Finance & Management Information Systems, Roosevelt University
- BBA - Finance, University of Iowa
Professional Memberships and Certification
- Certified Six Sigma Black Belt