Justin leads projects regarding business risk compliance and Internal Audit services. Justin brings experience in financial services and non-profit industry including: Enterprise Risk Management Program Design, Implementation and Sustainability, Internal Audit and Regulatory compliance.
Principle Areas of Practice
- Engagement Director for an Enterprise Risk Management (ERM) implementation for an expanding Asset Manager firm including benchmarking of risk inventory to industry peers and regulatory frameworks, performing a comprehensive risk assessment, prioritization of key risks, redesigning the Board Risk Committee reporting package for major risk areas, and formulating recommendations for enhancing the ERM program and risk management capabilities.
- Managed internal audit, operational and compliance risk reviews for financial services institutions across several functional areas including trading and portfolio management, credit/counterparty risk, collateral management, fraud/AML, securitization and valuation. Identified control weaknesses and improvement opportunities and provided key recommendations.
- Led an enterprise risk management strategic initiative for a financial services firm focused on identification of key financial, operational and compliance risks. Worked closely with Executive Management and Steering Committee to develop the program charter, define the risk universe, assess key risks for significance and likelihood, and design the ERM risk model, risk frameworks and key risk indicator/performance reporting.
- Led various reviews in the mortgage and credit card lending and servicing areas of a top 5 US bank. Areas of review included: SCRA, BSA/AML, Credit Bureau Reporting, Debt Sales, and Loan Loss. Responsibilities included performing transactional walkthroughs, coordinating and executing the detailed testing of controls and identification of compliance and control deficiencies.
- Engagement Director for performance of a detailed analysis of processes, risks and controls within defined business unites to assess to compliance with BSA/AML/OFAC laws and regulations. The approach for the analysis included documenting BSA/AML/OFAC requirements/objectives and associated risks and controls in place to mitigate the risks. Further, the team mapped risks and controls to business processes and evaluated the adequacy and efficiency of controls.
- Financial Model Governance —Evaluation of policies, procedures, and controls related to a financial model used to determine loan pricing policy decisions. Performed validation testing to corroborate model formulas and helped rebuild the pricing model in order to independently recalculate the Net Present Value, Yield and other financial information used in loan product pricing structures.
- Managed an Investment Portfolio review that evaluated the adequacy and effectiveness of the system of internal controls, in accordance with the standards set forth by the Institute of Internal Auditors. The detailed scope of this review included the following areas: Governance and Organization, Model Governance, Trade Initiation Execution and Settlement, Counterparty Credit Risk Management (including compliance to OTTI), Portfolio analytics, and Information Technology support for Bloomberg AIM, Summit, Bloomberg Data License, TPG, and PolyPaths.
Areas of Practice
- Enterprise Risk Management
- Finance & Accounting
- Internal Audit
- Credit Risk
- IT Asset Management
- Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX) Compliance
- Financial Services
- B.S. Business Administration and Accounting, Washington and Lee University
Professional Memberships & Certifications
- Institute of Internal Auditors