Josh is a Director in Protiviti’s Data Management and Analytics Consulting group. With more than 13 years of experience in Financial Services he brings a wealth of knowledge surrounding data governance/management, information technology, regulatory/compliance, Risk Management and program/project management. He is adept at taking a broad and holistic view of the business problem and providing innovative yet thoughtful solutions. Having been part of multiple data governance program planning and implementations, Josh can offer a unique perspective on the best approach to the implementation of successful program. In addition, Josh has strong experience in helping financial institutions on evaluating compliance on a number of different regulations where data governance is required including Basel, BCBS 239, and CCAR.
- Data Governance Program Implementation: Josh has led multiple projects within top 10 Financial Institutions focused on the definition, roadmap planning and implementation of Enterprise Data Governance solutions. He has a broad set of expertise on developing flexible approaches and frameworks to ensure the most effective implementation for different organizational dynamics and structures. The projects were focused on objectives for supporting regulatory compliance for key programs such as Basel, CCAR, AML, etc.
- Basel Data Remediation: Josh led a large 40+mm effort focused on the remediation of a Consumer Mortgage portfolio data required for Basel models. The effort was successful in performing data remediation across multiple portfolio and data streams and re-developed PD, LGD and EAD models. This work was key to achieving a $2bn+ reduction in capital for the organization and closing multiple MRA’s. In addition to the remediation of data for Basel, the program defined and delivered a data governance function into the organization to drive a more effective approach to managing and governing the data to effectively complying with regulatory scrutiny and mitigate the risk for the organization.
- BCBS 239 Compliance: Josh was the head of establishing the Risk Data Quality Office at a key G-SIB financial institution. The team successfully established the charter/goals, communicated awareness, established a roadmap for execution and delivered on critical data quality objectives to kick start BCBS 239 compliance objectives. The resulting objectives helped the organization to better understand the scope and process towards full compliance of BCBS 239. Additionally the team delivered a data quality framework and infrastructure to support future projects and senior management more effectively across multiple regulatory challenges.
- Data Quality Reporting and Analytics: Josh led the analysis, identification and implementation of a data quality infrastructure and framework for a top-10 regional banks Enterprise Data Governance organization. The infrastructure was initially focused on supporting CCAR (M,Q,Y) and Basel compliance. The infrastructure and business process allowed for a significant improvement in rule implementation with 6000+ data quality rules implemented and validated over a 30 day period for CCAR (M, Q) and an additional 800 data quality rules for the CCAR 14A model validation. Additionally the infrastructure was used to help accelerate the Basel Data Quality project by reduction of data quality rule validation by over 90%, reduction in re-work by 60%, and allowed for failures to be identified 3-6 months ahead of schedule. The infrastructure consisted of establishing governance, developing standardized framework, implementing a data quality tool, and developing standardized dashboards and templates for reusability across the enterprise.
Areas of Expertise
- Business Process
- Business Intelligence
- Data Analytics
- Enterprise Data Governance
- Enterprise Architecture
- Internal Audit
- Regulatory & Compliance
- Financial Services / Banking
- B.S., Information Systems, Dakota State University
- M.S., Information Systems, Dakota State University
- MBA, University of Phoenix
Professional Memberships and Certifications