John Van Slyck is a Managing Director within our Financial Services practice, with over 15 years of risk consulting experience providing internal, external and information technology auditing services as well as consulting services in a variety of industries. John has worked with global institutions on large-scale portfolio and program management, regulatory remediation and divestiture and separation initiatives.
- Project managed the data and technology CCAR validation efforts for a global consumer bank. John was responsible for drafting the formal response to the regulators outlining progress made towards remediating the deficiencies identified by the regulators. John managed approximately 20 audit resources to ensure validation timelines were met, and provided senior management status reporting on progress made.
- Led the Anti-Money Laundering remediation efforts at a foreign corporate investment bank. Responsibilities included execution of an AML Gap Analysis, development of detailed workplans to identify gaps and development of a project management office to monitor remediation. Remediation activities included development of policies and procedures, enhancements to customer onboarding processes, execution of a business line risk assessment, assistance in AML system governance activities, and the development of an interim transaction monitoring solution and executing a voluntary lookback of approximately two years of activity.
- Led the identification and investigation of unusual or suspicious wire activity within a number of foreign banks using computer-assisted audit techniques, statistical analysis and data mining. Developed recommendations, as appropriate, for improving internal controls, and/or AML monitoring capabilities.
- Developed customer, business line, and sanction risk rating methodologies for a number of large, global financial institutions in addition to non-financial institutions. John was responsible for the identification of risk variables and the assignment of the associated risk weightings for each variable, the incorporation of the developed methodologies into the company’s day-to-day operations and the development and execution of a training program provided to compliance personnel on the newly developed methodologies.
- Assisted a large international property and casualty insurance company develop a business continuity program in North, Central and South America. Assisted in project management as well as the development of business continuity documentation and plan exercise strategies.
Areas of Expertise
- Program Management
- IT Audit
- Anti-Money Laundering
- BBA – Management Information Systems & Management – Loyola College in Maryland
Professional Memberships and Certifications
- Member Project Management Institute (PMI)
- Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA)
- Certified in Risk and Information Systems Control (CRISC)
- Member ISACA