I am a Director within Protiviti’s Performance Improvement Practice. I have spent 30 years as a consultant identifying, reviewing and auditing risks associated with business change, technology change, regulatory and compliance change across many sectors. I have a strong technology grounding and specialize in operational transformation and change management. I have experience of large scale change through, strategy definition, business plan preparation, business case development, business model design, solutions selection, solution build and implementation. Over the last three years I have been focussed on the application of artificial intelligence, robotics, biometrics and other emerging technologies to the challenges associated with governance, risk and compliance. As a consequence I have been very active in the fintech and regtech sectors and the challenges of both emerging and established banks and insurers. I now lead Protiviti’s “Next Gen” Risk and Compliance activities in the UK, helping firms to drive improved efficiency and effectiveness into risk and compliance activities through the application of digital technologies.
- Building on my background in business process management technologies I am the lead for Protiviti’s RPA and AI related activities in the UK. This has involved me in helping to build Protiviti’s Digital Delivery as a core capability under pinning many of the services we deliver including improving the performance of KYC /AML processes, automating fraud detection and investigation, and addressing operational inefficiency within finance functions.
- I have carried out numerous business change program assurance reviews for the FCA, including the implementations of new regulatory regimes for Intact, Consumer Credit, AFIMD and Sourcing. I am as a consequence very familiar with the FCA’s approach to programs and I am known to many Sponsors and Exco members.
- The London Insurance Market faced with threats to its competitiveness required a solution to the FSA’s challenge of delivering lower operational risk and improved efficiency. I was commissioned to lead a project called “contract certainty”. Working at the highest level of the industry and the FSA I was responsible for designing the solution to “contract certainty” and overseeing its implementation within the 250 firms that constitute the London Insurance Market.
- A leading insurance broker had to perform better, more efficiently and faster. The company set an aggressive target of improving its client service while achieving a 5% increase in operating profit. Recognizing that they needed the right partner to turn strategy into action, John led a team that was asked to help design and implement radical and comprehensive change across its disparate businesses. This involved the development of a new Lean operating model, the implementation of a new insurance broking platform, the reorganization of the business to align better with customer segments and drive efficiency.
- John was the Program Director leading the project to establishing a managed shared service facility for a group of challenger banks. This work required the development of an understanding to the business models of challenger banks and account aggregators and the integration required to enable their value propositions to work with a common, utility shared service. This shared service covered all aspects of a typical retail banking operation.