Jim is a Managing Director in the Risk and Compliance practice. He has deep knowledge of financial services regulation with
hands on experience in bank supervision and policy related matters. He retired from the OCC after a 35 year career in which
he served most recently as a senior member of the OCC supervisory team at a top 5 US bank and operated as chief of staff for
the Examiner-In-Charge. In this role he held direct responsibility over the bank’s Risk Management, Global Compliance, and
Internal Audit functions. Jim was responsible for driving the OCC’s efforts in attaining effective bank remediation efforts across
all matters of regulatory concern. Further, Jim was instrumental in guiding the bank’s efforts in establishing and implementing
an effective Risk Framework, Risk Appetite, Risk Culture, and Global Compliance program.
Relevant Regulatory Experience
- Senior member of the OCC supervisory team at a top 5 US bank and led the OCC’s efforts in getting the supervised institution aligned with OCC’s Heightened Standards.
- Direct engagement with executive management in establishing an effective Operational Risk Framework, including improvement in the bank’s identification of high risk processes and developing appropriate QA/QC programs to reduce operational risk.
- Brought focus to the bank’s efforts to redesign the bank’s third party vendor risk management program.
- Direct involvement in engaging executive bank management in addressing all significant matters (Consent Orders, Matters Requiring Attention, Supervisory Letters), including direct interaction with Recovery and Resolution Planning supervisory efforts.
- Guided the bank’s Internal Audit division as it developed coverage models for Risk Management and Compliance functions.
- Direct supervisory responsibility for overseeing the bank’s management of liquidity during the financial crisis. Other responsibilities included oversight of bank securitization activities, interest rate risk, and the investment portfolio.
- Led the pre-charter conversion examinations of capital markets and balance sheet management activities for several midsize and large banking institutions as they were acquired by larger entities
- Direct supervisory responsibility for interest rate risk management, counterparty credit risk, and asset management activities.
Major Protiviti Experience
- Led engagements to assist large financial institutions enhance their RCSA processes and assessment programs.
- Developed a Risk Appetite Statement and Operational Risk Roadmap for a large financial institution.
- Designed an audit assessment of the firm’s alignment to OCC’s Heightened Standards for a foreign owned global institution.
- Performed an Operational Risk and Compliance Risk management review at a major international bank to enhance collaborative processes that allowed the units to function more effectively.
- Led multiple Sales Practices and Incentive Compensation Assessments for large US-based financial institutions.
Areas of Expertise
Professional Memberships and Certifications