George has over 20 years of experience in internal audit and accounting gained across industry and professional services roles, including nine years in Chief Audit Executive positions for public companies in the US. He is an Associate Director in Protiviti’s Internal Audit and Financial Advisory practice in the Washington DC / Baltimore metropolitan areas, providing internal audit and risk consulting services to clients in a variety of industries. George has significant experience developing and delivering complete Internal Audit, IT Internal Audit, SOX Compliance programs and fraud investigations.
Prior to joining Protiviti, George was the Chief Audit Executive for a multi-national public company in the media industry, which followed several internal audit leadership roles in the telecommunications industry as well as experience in professional services.
- Managed delivery of co-sourced internal audit and SOX compliance services to clients including public, private, governmental, and not-for-profit organizations.
- CAE for an international news media company with responsibility for the coordination of SOX compliance programs in the US and UK, identification and evaluation of the organization’s risks and development of an annual audit plan addressing areas of material risk.
- CAE for a multi-national telecommunications company with responsibility for the global audit and SOX compliance programs. Responsible for rebuilding the internal audit function to provide adequate coverage worldwide in primary markets (US, Canada, Australia, UK) with a combination of internal and external resources. Revamped the SOX compliance program to drive greater consistency across markets and enable greater reliance to be placed on management’s testing of internal controls. Spearheaded improvements to remediate prior year material weaknesses and obtain the company’s first clean opinion on internal controls over financial reporting.
- CAE for a cable and telecom company, managing the execution of financial, operational, and compliance audits, SOX compliance program and special projects as requested by the audit committee and / or management. Managed co-sourcing relationships with third-party service providers to supplement internal resources as needed. Implemented electronic workpaper platform, increasing efficiency of internal audit project execution, shortening reporting cycle time, and driving compliance with department methodology and professional standards.
Areas of Expertise
- Internal Audit
- SOX Compliance
- IT Audit
Professional Memberships and Certifications
- Certified Internal Auditor (CIA)
- Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA)
- Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE)