Erick is a Managing Director in Protiviti’s Charlotte office and part of their Risk & Compliance practice. He has more than 25 years of broad-based consumer and financial compliance experience in addition to solid international compliance expertise in areas such as the Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA). He also has strong technical knowledge across a broad range of regulatory areas including banking, capital markets, insurance and trust. Prior to joining Protiviti, Erick built and led the North America compliance practice at another large consulting firm. In this role he developed solutions and led projects for banking clients which covered numerous consumer compliance regulations, Bank Secrecy Act/Anti-Money Laundering requirements, as well as the Dodd-Frank Act. In addition, Erick worked at a top – 5 U.S. bank holding company, where he was a managing director and corporate compliance executive.
- Managed AML/OFAC reviews for a number of different financial institutions including: top tier domestic and international banks, regional and community banks, broker/dealers and investment companies. These reviews were designed to help ensure compliance with the requirements of Section 352 of the USA PATRIOT Act, OFAC/global sanctions requirements, the institutions’ BSA/AML policies and procedures as well as the expectations of the institutions’ regulators
- Performed Lookback investigations for multiple international banks. These reviews included transactional analysis and enhanced due diligence to identify questionable and/or suspicious activity. Prepared escalation referrals and reviewed SARs filed by the bank to determine adequacy and accuracy of the information
- Led the transformation of a BSA/AML Program for a Bank Holding Company with a top tier broker/dealer, including the development of a specialized risk assessment, enhanced work programs and sampling and testing methodologies; improved audit planning and enriched senior management reporting. This effort included conducting various AML and OFAC reviews, both business line and second line of defense related as well as validation of regulatory corrective actions.
- Conducted a number of gap analysis comparing an institution’s AML Program to the regulatory requirements (BSA, USA PATRIOT Act, OFAC) and leading industry practices. Then developed/updated AML and global sanctions policies and procedures for these financial institutions.
- Managed a major 5 year compliance look back reviews for a large, diversified financial institution related to their mortgage portfolio. The review included: Home Owner’s Protection Act (HPA), Flood Disaster Protection Act (FDPA), Equal Credit Opportunity Act (ECOA), Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) and Fair and Accurate Credit Transaction Act (FACTA), Truth in Lending Act (TILA), Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act (GLBA), and Home Mortgage Disclosure Act (HMDA). The review was to proactively self-identify past issues and to help inform the Bank as they were implementing a new Loan Origination System (LOS) as well as ensure accurate Loan Application Register (LAR) reporting. Protiviti developed the resource model, team structure, overall project plan, production and error benchmarking and reporting, and standardized training. Protiviti also developed a customized review tool within SharePoint with automated reporting that was utilized for weekly standard status and trend reporting.
Areas of Expertise
- Anti-Money Laundering
- Operational Risk Management
- Corporate Governance
- Regulatory Compliance
- Capital Markets
- Financial Services
- Capital Markets
- BA, University of the Pacific
- JD, Golden Gate University School of Law
- MBA, Kellogg School of Management, Northwestern University