Dugan is an Associate Director of Technology Consulting in the Dallas, Texas office. He has more than 14 years’ experience in various aspects of operational resilience and risk management, to include developing and directing all aspects of an international Business Continuity Program through multiple real-life crisis events while leading cross-functional project teams.
Dugan’s experience includes military, industry and professional services. After his honorable discharge from the U.S. Marine Corps, Dugan owned a business, returned to school to finish his undergrad and initially joined Protiviti in Los Angeles in 2005. Dugan has also worked on/ led multiple companies’ ITGC, SOX, and operational reviews. Dugan’s focus is now operational resilience: specifically Business Continuity. Dugan has expertise in all facets of Business Continuity, to include Emergency Readiness, Business Unit Resumption, Crisis Management/ Communications, IT Disaster Recovery, and Incident Response.
- Dugan co-led the November 2019 SIFMA Quantum Dawn V Cybersecurity Tabletop exercise, delivered to almost 1000 professionals worldwide. As part of this role, Dugan assisted with scenario planning and development, coordinating logistics of over 20 globally-dispersed speaking roles, design and build of facilitation materials (e.g., project plan, facilitation presentation and guide, audience engagement questions, delivery mechanisms, and people/ technology contingencies).
- In alignment with recognized standards such as ISO 22301, the DRII Best Practices and the FFIEC, Dugan has directed the design, development, implementation, testing, and maintenance of multiple national and global Business Continuity Management Programs, including facilitating Business Impact Analyses, Business Unit Resumption Planning, Crisis Management/ Communications, Emergency Response, Incident Management, and IT Disaster Recovery.
- Dugan has worked with numerous industries and organizations to evaluate their business continuity posture and help them develop and implement a strategy to ensure continuity of critical business processes. This consisted of performing Business Impact Analyses, aligning to enterprise Crisis Management strategies, documenting Business Resumption Plans, providing training for key employees, and assisting in the technical testing efforts of the program.
- Dugan has developed and rolled-out several training and awareness programs, both in the BCM space, but also in the Information Security arena. These awareness campaigns have included role-based and focused messages to all levels of organizations around the world and have included both preparedness and response aspects.
- Dugan co-led a data center migration in which more than 600 servers were ‘moved’ either logically or geographically with minimal impact to the numerous business stakeholders. In this role, Dugan remained the primary liaison between all business and IT teams through the scheduling, planning, pre-move backup and post-move testing of all servers.
- Dugan has led the development of several comprehensive ITDR plans. This process included information gathering, SME interviews, DR team assembly, tabletop sessions, run book creation, IT resource training, and DRP integration into the broader enterprise Business Continuity Program.
- Dugan assisted with the rationalization of a 500-business application inventory for a large hospitality/ gaming client through a merger with a similarly-sized competitor. Dugan’s duties included, facilitating interviews, analyzing key data and leveraging as needed for decision making and planning.
Areas of Expertise
- Operational Resilience
- Business Continuity Management (BCM)
- Crisis Management/ Communications
- IT Disaster Recovery (ITDR)
- Cybersecurity Incident Response
- Financial Services
- Manufacturing and Distribution
- Technology, Media, and Communications
- Hospitality and Gaming
- Retail/ Consumer Products
- B.S. – Accounting Info Systems, University of Southern California (USC)
- MBA – International Business, Thunderbird School of Global Management at Arizona State University (ASU)
Professional Memberships and Certifications
- MBCP – Master Business Continuity Professional (pending)
- CBCP – Certified Business Continuity Professional
- CBRITP – Certified Business Resilience IT Professional
- Certified Scrum Master
- Board of Directors (former) – San Diego chapter of the Association of Contingency Planners (ACP)