David is a Director in Protiviti’s Minneapolis Internal Audit and Financial Advisory practice. He has more than 20 years of business experience working with a variety of companies in various industries.
While at Protiviti David, has been responsible for providing clients with Internal Audit and Business Risk Consulting services. This includes leading Internal Audits, IT Internal Audits, Quality Assurance Reviews, Risk Assessments, Sarbanes-Oxley IT initiatives (US-SOX and J-SOX), and SAP reviews.
Prior to joining Protiviti, David had over three years of Big Four experience serving clients in both an external auditing and internal auditing role. In addition, David has over five years of industry experience in project management, accounting and IT within the healthcare, retail and manufacturing industries.
- Served as interim Chief Audit Executive at a multi-billion dollar pharmacy benefits manager (PBM), organization, where he led a function responsible for Internal Audit and Business Continuity Management. David’s responsibilities included risk assessment and planning, management and definition of audit scope and approach, and reporting audit results to executive management. In addition, he served as the Project Lead responsible for transitioning from a SAS70 to a SSAE16 - SOC 1.
- Served as interim IT Audit Director at a global payment services company. His primary responsibilities were planning, coordinating, executing and reporting on IT audits. He was also involved in SOX IT compliance and SSAE16 efforts.
- Managed the SOX IT initiative and led Protiviti’s internal audit co-source relationship at one of the largest global automotive manufacturers. He was responsible for coordinating activities across North America, South America, Europe, Asia, India and Australia. He managed the day-to-day PMO activities including staffing, co-source orientation, co-source performance and client satisfaction. He was involved since inception and was heavily involved in the infrastructure development to manage this engagement. Throughout this engagement he supervised over 50 people globally, executing hundreds of assessments.
Assisted several Medical Insurance companies with SSAE16 - SOC 2 readiness and Model Audit Rule (MAR) compliance.
Managed and executed hundreds of Internal Audis, IT audits and SOX/SOX IT assessments.
Performed IT Risk Assessments, led Internal Audit co-sourcing relationships and provided IT consulting services across various industries.
Participated on several external Quality Assurance Reviews (QARs) to assess our clients’ compliance with the IIA standards. Within these projects he has identified and recommended leading practices within the Internal Audit profession.
David is heavily involved in Protiviti’s IT Internal Audit leadership team. Over the years he has worked to develop and train our staff and role out and maintain training curriculum.
Areas of Expertise
- Information Technology Audit
- Internal Audit
- SOX/SOX IT
- Financial Services
- Higher Education
- University of Michigan: BSE Civil and Environmental Engineering
Professional Memberships and Certifications
- Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA)
- Certified in Risk and Information Systems Control (CRISC)
- Certified in Risk Management Assurance (CRMA)
- Certified Project Management Professional (PMP)
- Accredited in IIA – Quality Assurance Review (QAR)
- Information Systems Audit and Control Association (ISACA)
- Project Management Institute (PMI)
- Institute of Internal Auditors (IIA)