David Kupinski is a Managing Director in the Internal Audit practice of Protiviti. David has over 18 years’ experience in providing internal audit as well as operational, financial, and IT consulting services to organizations across a variety of industries including professional services, manufacturing, and healthcare. David is the market leader for Protiviti’s Indianapolis and Cincinnati offices focusing on serving clients in the Ohio Valley, and he is the Central Region healthcare lead. Prior to Protiviti, David was Controller for Stanley Black & Decker’s Security Division. There he led a team of 40 professionals and brought enhanced transparency and accuracy to the $2.2 billion Stanley Security business unit. In addition, David served as Director of Internal Audit at Stanley Black & Decker, assuming executive responsibility for all financial and operational audits for an $11 billion global, diversified company.
- Served as interim Chief Audit Executive for a $22 billion food distribution company based in Illinois. Responsibilities included execution of the audit plan, leading a team of 15 individuals, Audit Committee reporting, facilitation of Enterprise Risk Management, External Auditor coordination and SOX Compliance.
- Leads a fully outsourced Internal Audit function for an insurance provider in Carmel, Indiana. Client manages 140,000 policies in all 50 states and has approximately $3 billion in reserves. Direct reporting responsibilities to the Board of Directors and Chief Executive Officer. Responsibilities include developing annual audit plan comprising approximately 3,500 hours and reporting audit results to the Audit Committee and Executive Management.
- Internal Audit lead for a not-for-profit healthcare provider in Illinois. Client provides drug and alcohol abuse treatment across 15 facilities in the Midwest. Responsibilities include developing internal audit infrastructure for a new department including reporting protocols, audit methodology, and policies & procedures. Executed an enterprise risk management program to identify organizational risks and potential gaps in the control framework. Developed an annual internal audit plan comprising approximately 2,000 hours, and reported results to the Audit Committee and Senior Management.
- Serves as the Internal Audit lead for an Indiana-based hospital system with $3 billion in revenue. Responsibilities include risk assessment and audit planning in coordination with the executive management (CFO and CIO), management and definition of IT audit scope and approach, and reporting IT audit results to executive management and the finance/audit committee.
- Serves as the primary audit co-source lead for several Fortune 1000 companies in the manufacturing, healthcare and financial services industry covering operational and information technology risks generally with a focus on change management, project management, revenue recognition and financial reporting risks.
Areas of expertise
- Internal Audit
- Enterprise Risk Management
- Financial Services
- Healthcare / Life Sciences
- Professional Services
- B.S. – Finance/Decision Sciences, Miami University
Professional Memberships and Certifications
- Certified Internal Auditor (CIA)
- Institute of Internal Auditors (IIA)