Charles is a Managing Director in the Metro NY Region of Protiviti and is a leader in Protiviti’s Finance and Accounting Excellence (FAE) and Internal Audit practices. Charles is also the Eastern Region leader for Protiviti’s Public Company Transformation practice which assists clients with Financial Reporting Compliance, Corporate Governance, Internal Control Readiness, Risk & Compliance and IT Transformation. Charles has provided assistance to companies experiencing significant reconciliation and restatements, business combination activity, divestitures and carve out / separation initiatives, external auditor and regulatory inquiries, and difficulties in implementing new accounting pronouncements, including Fair Value Accounting and IFRS.
Charles holds a Bachelors degree in Accounting from Susquehanna University in Pennsylvania, is an active Certified Public Accountant, and member of both the New York State Society of Certified Public Accountants (NYSSCPAs) and the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA). Charles is a frequent public speaker on matters of technical accounting, financial reporting and internal control matters.
- Prior to joining Protiviti, Charles was the lead technical director and director of quality assurance for a boutique consulting firm that specialized in Internal Audit and Compliance, Internal Audit outsourcing and co-sourcing, financial and operational performance, including GAAP & SEC advisory, IT services and transactional support services.
- Charles directed the firm’s financial and operational performance service line; conducted operational and financial control reviews; analyzed and improved the financial statement closing process; and provided SEC, GAAP, and FASB support and guidance.
- Charles also had overall responsibility for the firm’s Quality Assurance review function in accordance with authoritative compliance guidance and internal audit standards and practices. He was the key quality reviewer over the firm’s approach and over key client deliverables.
- Charles gained experience at PricewaterhouseCoopers (PWC), where he was responsible for the execution of domestic and international audits, including assessing risks and strategies, administering engagements, and preparation and review of financial statements, and SEC filings. Charles’ PWC clients included major public companies, such as AT&T, Dun & Bradstreet, Phillip Morris and CBS as well as middle market entities and emerging businesses in a variety of industries.
Areas of Expertise
- Public Company Transformation
- Finance & Accounting Excellence
- Finance Transformation
- Finance Remediation and Reporting Compliance
- Due Diligence
- Internal Audit & Compliance
- Financial Services and Real Estate
- Manufacturing, Distribution and Technology
- Consumer Products and Retail
- Susquehanna (PA) University
Professional Memberships and Certifications
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- New York State Society of Certified Public Accountants
Read Protiviti Blog Posts from Charles Soranno