Charles is Practice Leader for the Model Risk practice of Protiviti’s Data Management and Advanced Analytics Solution. He has 10 years consulting experience leading Market Risk, Liquidity, Credit Risk, Finance, Regulatory and MIS engagements. Charles also has 20 years industry experience leading banking and investment banking risk and derivatives organizations; serving as head of Structured Products / Commodity Derivatives / Model Risk at ABN AMRO and as Global Head of Equity Risk Management at Credit Suisse, as well as holding senior positions at Lehman Brothers and UBS/O’Connor. He has wide business and product knowledge across Retail and Commercial Banking, Foreign exchange, Commodities, Structured Products, Fixed Income, Credit, Equities, and Securitizations.
- Model Review and Data Governance for Regulatory, including ALLL, CCAR and many other types of models across Retail, Commercial, and Trading & Treasury.
- Led Risk and MIS initiative for a $1bn+ enterprise-wide bank transformation.
- Performed Model Risk and Validation for a leading broker-dealer
- Senior role in Finance Transformation Program, deriving business requirements for global interface and integration of Finance and Risk functionality, across all major business units.
- Led Policy, Modeling, Basel Market Risk efforts for Capital Markets, Treasury and Retail. Specified models, approach, data elements required for stress testing, counterparty credit risk, VaR, concentration analysis, risk quantification methods.
- Co-leader of bank workshops centered on Counterparty credit systems process reengineering, data ownership and data quality.
- Headed work stream for Basel Pillar I / II Business Process Mapping efforts. Scope included Treasury and Trading, Retail, and Wholesale/Commercial.
- Treasury/Trading unit: Assess bank models and processes for completeness and accuracy. End-to-end analysis; source system positions, staging and intermediate calculations, verification of final calculations, reporting. Focus on accuracy of calculation of risk metrics for a broad range of derivative products.
- Headed work stream to develop new models and methods for quantifying impact of data quality on aggregate and disaggregate Economic Capital and Basel Risk figures including Treasury, ALM, Trading, and Credit.
- Retail Credit Senior Advisor, SME. Established Model Risk management policies, metrics and processes. Basel quantification, segmentation, stress testing, model documentation for Retail Credit. New capital attribution model and approach. Innovative models for reconciliation of RWA, Reserves (ALLL), Economic Capital, Loss Forecasts.
Areas of Expertise
- Model Risk Management
- CCAR and Stress Testing
- Initial Margin
- FRTB / Market Risk
- Derivatives Valuation
- ALM / Liquidity Risk
- Credit Risk, Counterparty Credit
- Economic Capital
- Basel & Capital Management
- Enterprise Risk Management
- Ph.D. Financial Econometrics, Boston College
- M.S. Economics, Boston College
- Graduate Study Economics, Cornell
- B.S. Economics, Kansas University
- NASD Series 7, Series 3
- Duffie & Singleton CDO/Credit VaR training at Stanford.