Bernadette is an Associate Director with Protiviti’s DC Risk and Compliance practice, focused on financial services clients. Bernadette was also part of the Litigation Restructuring and Investigative Services solution for five years prior, in Baltimore. Bernadette also has over five years of experience with Protiviti in the NYC Risk and Compliance office where she provided M&A, lender due diligence and other credit services to financial organizations. Bernadette had several years of experience in public accounting as a transaction services auditor prior to joining Protiviti in 2005. Her clients include bank holding companies and other lending institutions, creditors’ committees, Chapter 11 and Chapter 7 Trustees, federal agencies, as well as various corporations.
RELEVANT MAJOR PROJECTS
- Currently assisting a top 10 US bank’s Audit team with project managing in-line QC of all regulatory and issue validation work, as well as oversight of Audit’s regulatory exam requests and independent third-party validation reviews.
- Led an MR(I)A validation process redesign for the Internal Audit department of a top 10 US bank, including build of a new database housing regulatory concerns and validation status’, development of internal and external reporting, oversight of a new quality control process to review Audit validation work and updated policy and procedures, and development of operating effectiveness metrics. Further, assisting with creation of a refreshed issue validation process.
- Lead a team at a top Canadian Bank’s credit’s department in developing a process for segmenting a population of missing business risk ratings, as well as a program to accurately calculate (spread financials) for the business credit portfolio, needed for OSFI’s Capital Adequacy Requirements filing. Lead a team of over 100 consultants in providing 1,000+ risk ratings. Our team also developed operating procedures, managed a QC and QA process, created new required data attributes, implemented an automated workflow tool, and created real-time data reporting.
- Co-led a workstream of an Internal Audit review within a top global bank with reviewing the remediation of an OCC consent order related to SCRA remediation, leading the Credit Card LOB team, as well as assisting in project-managing 11 other lines of business. This 6-month, cross-LOB audit included a strategic data and code review aggregating millions of records over a nine year period from 40 systems; the Card team represented the largest team and volume of data, requiring expert operational and data analytics. Final audit workpapers numbered over 3,000 pages of detailed, logical review of work that took the lines of business over 2 years to complete.
- Oversaw a top global bank’s internal audit review of the Comprehensive Liquidity Assessment Review (CLAR) process, including trade settlement accountability, reporting, adherence to regulatory requirements, technology risks and risk governance.
- Co-led a top global bank’s Consumer line of business internal audit review and compilation of the 2017 and 2018 Comprehensive Capital Analysis and Review (CCAR) submission to the Federal Reserve. Areas of focus included CCAR Reporting, Estimation Methodologies, and Capital Planning. This included assessing the control framework around FR Y-14 reporting, adherence to Federal Reserve’s regulatory guidance (e.g. SR 15-18); and assessing internal strength of reporting controls.
- Assisted the internal audit department of a top five bank with remediation of an OCC consent order related to collection litigation remediation for the Credit Card division, including planning of the controls to be tested, the risk statements and testing programs, harmed population identification, determining remediation calculations and managing cross line of business efficiencies. Also assisted in documentation of findings, status reporting and managing budget to actual analysis.
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
- Internal Audit / Quality Assurance
- Regulatory Risk Management
- Program / Project Management
- Enterprise Risk Management
- Capital Risk Management
- Credit Risk Management
- Consumer Compliance
- Financial Services
- Professional Services
- B.S. Business Administration, Finance – DePaul University
- Certified in Risk Management Assurance (“CRMA”)
- Certified Insolvency and Restructuring Advisor (“CIRA”)