Amazon Web Services
Amazon Web Services (AWS) offers a broad range of products and solutions used as building blocks to run sophisticated and scalable applications. AWS delivers global cloud-based solutions that enable enterprises to become more robust, reduce IT costs, operate securely, increase efficiency, performance and scalability.
AWS Partner Network (APN) is the global partner program focused on assisting the APN Partners to build successful AWS solutions by providing them with business, technical, marketing, and go-to-market support.
As an AWS Consulting Partner, Protiviti provides our clients with opportunities to create new solutions and offer best in class support for our clients. With our deep subject matter expertise, we actively work together to help clients improve capabilities and support your business goals.
How We Help Our Clients Succeed
Boyd Gaming (BOYD) found themselves in a position of inheriting cloud through mergers and acquisitions. Boyd Gaming was not tooled for cloud integration into the environment. Boyd Gaming was unsure of the gaps cloud would bring into IT from a processes, inventory, metrics, skills and governance perspective. Understanding the gaps was imperative to support the inheritance of cloud as well as establish a cloud strategy moving forward.
Boyd Gaming engaged Protiviti to proactively assess gaps the cloud introduced. They also needed to establish a multi-cloud strategy. Understanding the gaps in processes, inventory, metrics, skills and governance are imperative to setting the Boyd Gaming strategy. Protiviti delivered the necessary gaps for improvement, governance, needed SLAs and highlighted risk. Protiviti also assessed the inventory identifying technical debt, estimated costs for running in the cloud from a hardware and licensing viewpoint. These deliverables were fundamental in establishing the Boyd’s multi-cloud strategy. “As a result of the engagement with Protiviti, we were able to accelerate our oversight and governance for a hybrid-first architecture strategy to maximize business outcomes, including the evaluation of risk exposure of onboarding emerging technologies capabilities,” explained Eric Bowers, VP Architecture & Innovation at Boyd Gaming.
- Improved cloud processes and governance to allow for confidently and securely deploy and support Boyd Gaming’s multi-cloud strategy.
- Visibility into technical debt, risk, talent needs allowed for the formation of a progression plan that included timelines, governance, risk mitigation and optimized cloud costs.
- Established a long-term plan for holistically supporting the multi-cloud strategy from inheritance or creation with architecture and governance reviews in place and the talent to support.
Global Medical Company
A global medical company, in the process of divestiture from a multinational company had a short duration Transaction Service Agreement (TSA) for their IT services. The only way to meet the TSA timelines and avoid penalties was to go with cloud-first solution.
There were many custom built applications that the internal teams were running in their data center. The infrastructure team needed to build the cloud capability so that the applications can be migrated to AWS cloud. At the time, there was no centralized governance. Internal teams lacked cloud expertise and experience to migrate within the businesses required timeframe without jeopardizing their ability to operate.
Protiviti assisted the client with cloud architecture and security, and quickly set up a secure, multi-account AWS environment based on AWS leading practices.
- Architecture: Implemented AWS Landing Zone solution that helped quickly set up a secure, multi-account AWS environment based on AWS leading practices. Leveraged AWS Well Architected Framework to design and build secure, high-performing, resilient, and efficient infrastructure for their applications.
- Governance: Established AWS Organizations to ensure central governance, efficient Account Management. Implemented Service Control Policies to provide central control over the maximum available permissions for all accounts in the organization, allowing accounts to stay within organization’s access control guidelines.
- Security: Leveraged native AWS tools to enhance the security posture using AWS Config, AWS Shield, Amazon GuardDuty, Amazon Inspector and Amazon Macie. Provided a secure architecture for applications using AWS WAF and established AWS WAF managed rules to protect applications from common threats like application vulnerabilities.
Robert Half International
Robert Half International (RHI) had multiple global business units building applications in AWS. Internal resources were tasked with evaluating an ever-growing inventory of applications that needed to undergo thorough security evaluations prior to being authorized to operate in a production environment. The workload was growing but the team was not.
Robert Half International engaged Protiviti to perform technical security evaluations of specific applications and their Protiviti was able to provide a flexible engagement model that met the on-demand and unpredictable needs of the client by leveraging its global offensive security labs. The team members that worked on RHI’s environment held both AWS certifications and the OSCP to bring holistic insights and suggestions across cloud service architecture and configuration as well as insecure application coding and software configurations.
- Improved business response time for the completion of security reviews.
- Increased confidence in the security of the applications deployed within AWS as vulnerabilities and issues were identified by a specialized team.
- Ever improving security posture as the observations through testing work their way into the architecture and security standards for new projects.
For more information, please contact:
Email: [email protected]
Email: [email protected]