Ali is a Managing Director in Protviti’s Financial Services Technology Practice with over 20 years of Financial Services Industry experience. In this role, Ali advises global financial services clients on solving business strategy, front/middle/back office digital transformation, operations, operational risk management, data analytics, automation, and technology implementation challenges. Ali’s experience spans 15 years of consulting experience with the Big 4, and over 5 years in multiple technology startups.
He holds a MBA in Quantitative Finance from NYU Stern School of Business, BSEE in Computer Engineering from Rice University, and BA in Physics from College of Wooster.
- Led a pre-acquisition due diligence effort of a clearing and settlement firm, serving algo-trading organizations and asset managers, for a Private Equity fund.
- Led tax reporting and corporate actions, middle and back office, transformation effort for a leading US Custody bank. Modelled potential tax exposure using multi-year historical data.
- Redesigned the technology operating model and outsourcing strategy of a growing asset manager (AUM: $137 B). Directly reported to the CEO and aligned proposed changes with the organization’s future business growth strategy.
- End-to-end Agile transformation strategy, for a leading French bank, from Waterfall to Scaled Agile. Pilot phase comprised 12 tribes impacting 1200 personnel worldwide.
- Analyzed Financial Advisor attrition drivers for a leading wealth manager (AUM: $653B). Created recommendations for increasing firm stickiness with end-clients and reducing Financial Advisor attrition.
- Delivered a multi-year engagement to restructure and redesign the project management functions and automate project management processes, via RPA, for a leading asset and wealth manager.
- Executed a multi-year engagement to restructure and automate, via RPA, IT COO Office processes. The entire engagement, including RPA, was structured as a service.
- Analyzed and algorithmically predicted optimal processes for post-trade reconciliation and reporting, bookkeeping, and performance measurement functions for a leading wealth manager by employing machine learning, artificial intelligence and simulation techniques.
- Employed natural language processing techniques to classify and mine problem tickets for a leading asset management client. Created models to predict classification of new tickets to 80% accuracy.
- Created unauthorized trading prediction models for a leading Swiss investment bank. Identified 4 traders for further investigation by analyzing trading variances – findings were replicated by internal bank groups.
- Created optimization models to recommend optimal global staffing for a banking conglomerate to reduce global resource spending by 20%.
- Lead business requirements gathering, solutions development and go-live activities for banking, asset management and wealth management systems.
Areas of Expertise
- Digital Transformation
- Data and Analytics
- Trading and risk management
- Middle and Back office operations
- Managed Services
- Process and operating model transformation
- Securities Valuation
- Agile transformations and project/portfolio management
- IT Strategy
- Systems design and implementation
- Business consulting and technology consulting project delivery
- M.B.A. – Quantitative Finance, NYU Stern School of Business
- B.S.E.E. – Computer Engineering, Rice University
- B.A. – Physics, College of Wooster