Adam is a Managing Director with Protiviti focused on serving clients within the financial services industry concerning risk, compliance, and cybersecurity matters. He has deep knowledge of financial services regulation with hands on experience in all insurance supervision and policy related matters. Prior to joining Protiviti in January 2017, he was a former President of the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC), Chairman of the NAIC’s Cybersecurity Task Force, Principal on the Financial and Banking Information Infrastructure Committee (FBIIC), Principal on the United States Financial Stability Oversight Council (FSOC) and North Dakota’s elected insurance commissioner. Adam also spent ten years as a prosecutor and civil litigator.
- In his most recent role with the NAIC, served as the Chairman of its National Cybersecurity Task Force where he spearheaded the development of a comprehensive insurance regulatory framework for cybersecurity in America. As Chairman of the Task Force, he also testified before Congress on cyber issues and served as a leader of the examination of Anthem following their 2015 data breach.
- Served as the insurance commissioner representative on FBIIC (America’s cybersecurity regulatory committee for the financial services sector). FBIIC is chaired by the U.S. Treasury Department and is made up of the heads of all the major federal financial regulatory bodies. FBIIC’s purpose is to help coordinate cybersecurity regulatory efforts in America’s financial sector.
- Served as the insurance commissioner representative on FSOC, which was created from the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act of 2010 to address matters of financial stability. FSOC is a fifteen member regulatory body where Adam served alongside America’s chief financial regulators.
- Four years as an elected officer of the NAIC (2011-2014) culminating with serving as President of the NAIC in 2014. As an elected officer of the NAIC, set insurance regulatory priorities for America’s insurance regulators and oversaw the development of countless regulatory initiatives, including cybersecurity, solvency modernization, ORSA, corporate governance, group supervision, and principles based reserving.
- As North Dakota’s elected insurance commissioner from 2007-2016, oversaw a multi-billion dollar a year insurance market with more than 2,000 licensed insurance companies and 70,000 licensed insurance agents, served as President of North Dakota’s high-risk health insurance pool, and served on North Dakota’s State Investment Board overseeing approximately $11 billion in assets.
Areas of Expertise
- Risk Management
- Regulatory Relations
- Corporate Governance
- Insurance and Reinsurance
- Financial Services
Education & Certifications
- Bachelor of Science, Sam Houston State University
- Juris Doctorate, With Distinction, University of North Dakota School of Law
- Licensed attorney
Read Protiviti Blog Posts from Adam Hamm