Varun is a Director and is responsible for development and growth of Financial Reporting Advisory practice for Protiviti in UK. Varun has over 16 years of experience (including more than 10 years experience in IFRS / US GAAP) as an auditor / advisor in the financial reporting across several industries. Prior to joining Protiviti, Varun has worked for big 4 accounting firms and other large corporates. Varun has authored several articles on financial reporting areas and contributed to thought leadership publications in the space.
Varun has led multiple audit remediation, accounting and reporting transformation and GAAP / reverse GAAP conversion engagements. He also worked as subject matter expert in resolving complex accounting issues with respect to revenue recognition, business combination and consolidation under Indian GAAP, US GAAP and IFRS.
- While working with Protiviti member firm in India, Varun was responsible for developing and growing the accounting and reporting practice. He was engagement MD on multiple engagements involving review chart of accounts, preparation of consolidated financial statements module and developing accounting manuals.
- In his previous organization, Varun led a team of over 15 professionals in assisting GAAP conversion of India headquartered large infrastructure group. The engagement required reviewing accounting policies adopted by 150+ legal entities of the entire group under Indian GAAP and identifying potential gaps with IFRS equivalent standards (Ind AS) requirements. Varun was involved in overall project management and engaged with Board of Directors, CFOs and other key stakeholders for various businesses – Airports, Energy and Highways. Complex accounting matters requiring deliberations included evaluation of Service Concession Arrangement accounting, control assessment, reviewing multiple financial instruments and assessing the consolidation of financial statements.
- Varun led engagement of ASC 842 Implementation support to one large US company (SEC registrant). As part of this engagement, the team assisted the client with data abstraction and collation. Engagement scope included review of over 1,700 lease contracts in 25+ languages. Varun managed the team of over 35 professionals with diverse skills and successfully delivered the engagement within agreed timelines.
- He was deployed as a reconciliation manager for one of the largest American insurance company’s Copenhagen office. During his stay – he was responsible for reconciling outstanding premium receivable from brokers and also led discussion for collection of same. He was involved in reviewing the existing process, identifying gaps ad re-defining future state process to ensure reduction in unreconciled balances.
- He has excellent communication skills and has been regularly rendering trainings on various accounting topics such as revenue recognition, leases, business combinations. He has rendered trainings at various forums such as industrial bodies (CII), company-specific trainings and other internal trainings
- In initial part of his careers, he has also led the large audits of multi-nationals under Indian GAAP and US GAAP.
- He specializes in financial reporting advisory services with respect to in-bound/out-bound transactions including listing, performing GAAP conversion, revenue assurance, accounting due diligence, IPO readiness, development and/or review of carve out and pro-forma, advising on technical accounting / change accounting matters, implementation of IFRS, integration support of financial reporting process etc.
Areas of Expertise
- IFRS/USGAAP Advisory including GAAP conversions, technical position papers and IFRS trainings
- Financial statements audits under IGAAP and IFRS
- Reporting and Finance Transformation
- Business planning and financial models
- Technical accounting and project management
- Real estate and infrastructure – including Airports & Highways
- Energy, Metals and Mining
- Chartered Accountant (India)
- B. Com