Colin Farquhar is Director of Protiviti’s Data & Analytics practice in the U.K. He has 25 years of industry experience working for and with a variety of Financial Institutions, mainly in the areas of Risk Analytics, Data, & Technology. He has led engagement teams at numerous clients across EMEA and Asia-Pacific, in order to assist those clients with both their internal and regulatory analytics’ requirements.
Prior to joining Protiviti, Colin held consulting leadership positions as Risk Advisory Leader at IBM; Head of Risk Advisory at Fitch Solutions; and prior to that, banking risk analytics’ roles at Credit Suisse Investment Bank; RBS Group Risk.
Colin has worked across credit, market, and operational risk management, spanning both the banking and trading books. He has advised clients on the many regulations which impact such risk assessments and their implications for capital management. Client engagements include model builds, validations and reviews, as well as portfolio stress testing, economic capital, and risk based pricing.
Representative Engagements Include:
- Working with banks globally on the design & build of analytics to estimate their default risk and exposure parameters, in order to meet the Basel regulatory capital requirements. These engagements have ranged from small single asset class evaluations through to group wide implementations.
- Completing several independent validations and back-testing evaluations for financial institutions’ credit, market, and operational risk models, advising clients of their alignment with regulatory requirements, while identifying areas to improve their risk assessment processes.
- Performing several portfolio stress testing engagements for both Wholesale and Retail banks, covering scenario design, risk parameter evaluation, portfolio construction, outcome evaluation, and assessment of results with respect to their capital implications.
- Development of risk assessment methodologies for a broad variety of asset classes, instruments, and their practical applications at several global institutions. Allied to this, implementing control regimes for the ongoing monitoring of such methodologies.
- Performing model risk and governance reviews for several major banks so as to identify and address shortcomings in their use of analytics within their wider business decision making processes. Also working with clients to reduce the inherent risk within their risk assessment methods.
- PhD, Physics (University of Edinburgh)