Sean is a Managing Director in Protiviti’s Technology Consulting practice and has over 15 years of experience in financial services risk management. Sean has worked closely with the banks, Government agencies and insurance companies over the last 13 years in varying external audit, internal audit and other risk and compliance management support capacities. Sean’s recent work includes developing operational risk profiles across banking and insurance product lifecycles.
- Supported the Managing Directors of both Consumer Cards, Unsecured Lending as well as Corporate and Commercial banking for one of Australia’s Big 4 banks in uplifting their operational risk profile across all wholesale and retail products. This involved defining the risk appetite across managed products, identifying key risks and controls across the end-to-end product lifecycle processes, and recommending sustainable control uplift activities.
- Supported the Data and Analytics function of a big 4 bank in uplifting their operational risk profile as well as key controls across their legacy and cloud-based data warehousing environment. This included identifying end-to-end data flows from where the data landed, transformed via ETL (Extract, Transform, Load) processes and consumed via various reporting dashboards (e.g. Tableau, PowerBI, MicroStrategy).
- Supported the remediation of significant control deficiencies within a core banking platform in relation to user access management and reporting governance.
- Led the first line Technology Risk function for one of Australia’s big 4 banks supporting 300+ projects in understanding their internal / external compliance obligations to enable effective and efficient delivery.
- Lead the delivery of a large Australian banks managed service to deliver IT Risk Assessments services across all technology projects, including:
- Designed, implemented and managed offshore delivery processes; and
- Managed and oversaw overall service delivery under a managed service.
- Supported the Asian regulatory requirements definition and understanding of a global private bank’s single customer view solution.
- Supported a large financial service organisation in developing and executing their strategy to comply with local Customer Data Protection regulatory obligations.
- Recently led a software company as their CEO which was recognized by Gartner as a global leader in Metadata Management.
Areas of Expertise
- Technology Consulting
- Large Project management
- IT Project Assurance
- Data Analytics and Data Management
- Operational Risk (including information and technology risk)
- Compliance (BCBS 239, CPS 231, CPS 234, CPG 235, GDPR, Royal Commission, Open Banking)
- Cloud Technology (AWS, Azure, GCP, Cloudera)
- Financial Services (Banking, Insurance, Superannuation and Asset Management)
Education, Professional Memberships and Certifications
- Bachelor of Science
- Cobit 5
- ISO 31k
- ISO 9001
- ISO 27k