Schalk is an IT Director with Protiviti in Melbourne with over 20 years’ experience in IT and Management Consulting across Australia, Asia-Pacific, South-Africa and Europe. Schalk has delivered large IT Strategy and transformation projects with significant senior stakeholder engagement across financial services, government, mining and utilities to drive sustainable change and transformation.
Schalk takes a multifaceted approach, in particular specialising in Operational and IT strategy, large transformation engagements leveraging leading capabilities such as Digital and Digital Transformation, Data Governance, IT and Cyber Security solutions as well as assisting clients with IT risk assessments.
Schalk has also assisted clients with IT Audits across the above mentioned Industries and capabilities areas.
- Led the Digital Strategy and Digital Transformation initiatives of a leading Australian Retail Superfund. This required Senior Stakeholder engagement across both IT and the Business.
- Led an engagement in defining the Data Governance Framework and roadmap for an Australian Industry Superfund, identifing key focus areas in order to minimise their risk and manage any potential reputational damage.
- Led an engagement in defining the Data Governance Framework and roadmap for an Australian Industry Superfund. This initiative assisted the client to identify key focus areas in order to improve Data Quality and improve BI Reporting and business decision making.
- Led a team that assisted an Australian Retail Bank to optimise their internal change delivery capability, identifying key levers impacting on the major drivers of cost, time and delivery quality.
- Led a Cyber Security Risk Assessment for a global miner, defining the appropriate remediation action leveraging NIST and ISO 27001/2.
- Led an IT/OT Security Risk Assessment identifying the appropriate remediation action leveraging NIST and ISO 27001/2 for a global steel manufacturing company.
- Led the New Zealand stream of a large IT Strategy program for a big four Australian Bank in order to define the bank’s “Towards 2017” strategy. The role required complex stakeholder management with the Bank’s C-Level executives as well as developing a complex Business Case and Benefits Realisation plan.
- Conducted a strategic expenditure review of the Information Technology and Communications business units of a large water utility for a NSW Government department. This included complex stakeholder interviewing, workshop facilitation and engagement of C-level and senior stakeholders.
- Led a project “turn-around” initiative for a South-African Electricity Utility addressing a project that was running over time and budget. This role required complex stakeholder management skills as well as Auditing with significant focus on Benefits Realisation, providing coaching and guidance to the internal project management staff.
- Led a multi-year SAP ERP transformation program for a Water Utility company in South-Africa replacing the Water Utility’s Financial Systems, HR Systems, Customer and Billing Systems, Materials Management Systems as well as business intelligence and reporting systems. The role required complex stakeholder management, risk management across the program roadmap and multiple project streams.
B.Comm (Hons.), Informatics/ Information Systems