Protiviti helps global investment management firm unlock outsourcing opportunities through effective data governance
Develop a data governance model to address significant data management deficiencies that threatened the firm’s competitive advantage.
To establish an effective data management program for our client, Protiviti used a three-stage approach.
At the completion of the project, our client had reduced fragmentation of data ownership significantly.
A global investment firm asked Protiviti to help develop a data governance model to address significant data management deficiencies that threatened the firm’s competitive advantage and its ability to bring new products and services to market. Our client’s data was fragmented among multiple locations and/or stranded in stand-alone business applications and teams, causing operational deficiencies, especially in outsourcing opportunities.
To establish an effective data management program for our client, Protiviti used a three-stage approach. In each phase of the project we delivered the following services:
Phase I – Determining the scope of shared data and data management roles
- Protiviti examined the existing data entity architecture and interviewed data management teams, ultimately identifying 30 data types. We then developed a glossary of each data type, ensuring a common language for discussion within the organisation.
- We held a series of six data governance workshops. We used the information gathered in the workshop sessions to develop a matrix of staff roles and responsibilities for each data type, as well as a CRUD matrix (matrix of the systems in which different data types are created, read, updated or deleted).
Phase II – Establishing of a golden record
- Once we had data entities and responsibilities identified, we created a “golden record” – a single true version of all data entities in the company – and a strategy for mastering and delivering core data.
Phase III – Designing a target operating model and roadmap
- Using the results of the workshop analysis, we designed a data governance target operating model. The model assigned owners for data entities and provided a clear governance framework for ongoing data stewardship and maintenance.
At the completion of the project, our client had reduced fragmentation of data ownership significantly. More importantly, it now had an enhanced, common understanding across the organisation of data types and data ownership and management, which enabled the effectiveness of the data governance framework. The data governance good practises embedded in the framework unlocked the previously unavailable opportunities for outsourcing and enabled other cost and operational efficiencies, restoring the firm’s competitive position.
How We Help Companies Succeed
As the business world becomes more and more connected, it is critical to view data governance and privacy as a business issue, not just an IT issue. Data classification and management, security threats, vulnerabilities and privacy exposures challenge every organisation today, creating risks that must be understood and managed. Often organisations do not know what risks they face or how to manage these risks effectively. Equally important, good security and privacy practises can provide revenue growth opportunities through personalised support to clients.
Protiviti provides a wide variety of security and privacy assessment, architecture, transformation and management services to help organisations identify and address security and privacy exposures (e.g., loss of customer data, loss of revenue, or reputation impairment to a customer) before they become problems.
We have a demonstrated track record of helping companies react to security incidents, establish security programs, deal with identity and access management, and handle industry-specific data security and privacy issues, including PCI and HITRUST. We invite you to explore the various IT security and privacy services we offer:
- Security Strategy & Program Management Services
- Identity & Access Management Services
- Data Security & Privacy Management Services
- Vulnerability Assessment
- Security Operations & Implementation Services
- Incident Response & Forensics Services