Senior Managing Director
Carol is a Senior Managing Director in the firm’s Risk and Compliance practise and oversees the firm’s Asia-Pac Financial Services Practise. Prior to joining Protiviti, Carol was a Partner with Arthur Andersen where she led the Global Regulatory Practise; a founding member of The Secura Group and leader of the firm’s Risk Management practise; and a regulator with the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency, a bureau of the U.S. Treasury Department. An experienced consultant with more than thirty years of experience, Carol has extensive experience with numerous regulatory issues that affect multiple industries. She is a frequent author and speaker on regulatory and other risk issues.
For the last several years, Carol has been a regular presenter at the Institute of International Bankers’ BSA/AML/OFAC Training Series. She is also a lecturer at the Boston University School of Law for which she has designed and is teaching an anti-money laundering course in the University’s Certificate in Financial Services Compliance programme.
- Oversaw, in conjunction with external counsel, the special investigation into alleged money laundering of one of the banks indicted in Operation Casablanca and, following the investigation, developed and helped implement a remediation plan to enhance the bank’s anti-money laundering compliance.
- Conducted a special investigation of a private banking deposit and brokerage activity for a major European bank and assisted the bank by providing quality control for its client file re-documentation effort.
- Assisted numerous large companies develop and implement their anti-money laundering compliance programmes; this assistance included, but was not limited to, development of policies and procedures, design and implementation of monitoring procedures and investigation protocols, training, and development of internal audit programmes.
- Assisted numerous financial institutions with AML and sanctions-related regulatory remediation, including, but not limited to, redesigning risk assessment methodologies and KYC standards, revamping policies and procedures, enhancing transaction monitoring, improving and improving management reporting.
- Performed a comprehensive fraud risk assessment for the international operations of a government-owned financial institution.
- Developed and assisted multiple clients with implementation of country risk rating methodologies which considered, inter alia, money laundering and other fraud and corruption risks.
- Participated in and/or served in a quality assurance role on numerous FCPA projects including risk assessments, programme design and implementation, training development, investigations, and audits. These projects were for companies from a variety of industries, including energy, retail, manufacturing, and professional services.
Areas of Expertise
- Anti-Money Laundering
- Sanctions Compliance
- Risk Management
- Governance & Ethics
- Fraud Risk Management
- Anti-Bribery and Anti-Corruption
- Financial Services
Institute of International Bankers
Bretton Woods Committee
- Bachelor of Arts, Colby College
- Master of Arts (Hon), Colby College