Tim Long is a Managing Director in Protiviti’s New York Office and leads the firm’s Regulatory Risk Practice. He brings extensive knowledge of financial services regulation with hands on experience in all bank supervision and policy related matters. Tim retired from the OCC after a 31 year career in which he oversaw virtually all of the agency’s bank supervision and policy units. He has significant experience working with large complex banks, regional financial institutions and community bank organizations.
In his most recent role with the OCC, Tim served as Senior Deputy Comptroller for Bank Supervision Policy and Chief National Bank Examiner. He was a key advisor to the Comptroller, a member of the OCC’s Executive Committee, and was Chair of the Committee on Bank Supervision for the agency.
Representative Engagements Include
- Served on the “principal plus one” group of financial regulators that provided expert advice and program development to Treasury Secretary Paulson and his staff during the 2008-09 financial crisis. This included the development of the Troubled Asset Relief Program (TARP), the Temporary Liquidity Guarantee Program (TLGP), and the Term Asset-Backed Securities Loan Facility (TALF), among others
- Served as lead for Treasury Secretary Paulsen to organize and conduct the regulatory review to determine whether to place Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae into conservatorship
- Served as the Regulatory Council chair of the Troubled Asset Relief Program (TARP) Capital Purchase Program
- Served as a member of the Financial Stability Oversight Council (FSOC) Deputies Committee created under the Dodd-Frank Act
- Served as Chairman of FFIEC Task Force on Supervision
- Held the position of Senior Deputy Comptroller for Midsize/Community Bank Supervision where he supervised over 1600 examiners
- Held the position of Deputy Comptroller for Large Bank Supervision, and was the Examiner-in-Charge of several large, complex national banks
- Currently, advises senior executives on matters involving regulatory hot topics, interpretation of implementation standards, surrounding Dodd-Frank and Basel related matters, assistance with enforcement actions and remediation standards
- B.S., Business Administration, University of Montana
Professional Memberships & Certifications
- Board of Directors, Pacific Coast Banking School Seattle Washington