Mike is a Managing Director with Protiviti, focused on the financial services industry. He has dealt exclusively with complex regulatory issues for nearly 15 years.
Prior to joining Protiviti in January of 2004, Mike was a Regulatory Relationship Manger for a top-ten U.S. bank holding company, where he was the primary point of contact with regulatory agencies in over fifteen states in which the company was registered, with direct responsibility for responding to and resolving all compliance issues raised in these states. Mike played a significant role in the successful implementation of one of the largest consumer protection settlements in U.S. history.
Representative Engagements Include
Mike is the national leader for the consumer compliance segments of Protiviti’s Regulatory Risk practice, and is also a key member of Protiviti’s Global Regulatory Reform Task Force. He is regularly consulted as a regulatory compliance subject matter expert by leading media outlets, having been interviewed and quoted by organizations including the Wall Street Journal, Associated Press, Reuters, CNN, American Banker, and the Chicago Tribune, among many others.
- Served as the lead project manager for the largest and second largest subprime lending enforcement actions initiated by federal banking regulatory agencies to date. These efforts included designing and managing the review of more than 180,000 mortgage loans, coordinating the efforts of more than a dozen client affiliates and other third party service providers, and preparing and presenting quarterly status reports directly to our clients' regional and national regulatory agency leadership teams
- Consulted with multiple top-10 banks regarding their HMDA compliance programs, including consideration of data intake processes, system workflows, data integrity validation, and the linkage of HMDA data to broader Fair Lending risk management efforts
- Advised multiple top-10 mortgage servicers on regulatory and business process risks related to their servicing, workout/modification, foreclosure and loss sharing compliance audit programs
- Engaged by multiple top-25 banks and consumer lenders to design, enhance, and/or conduct audits of their Fair Lending compliance programs
- Assisted a number of top-50 global financial institutions in the development and maintenance of compliance programs for their U.S. subsidiaries
- B.S. – Finance, University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign
Professional Memberships & Certifications
- Certified Regulatory Compliance Manger (“CRCM”), Institute of Certified Bankers